Passage 5 (淄博市2007届高三第三次模拟考试) 完形填空
After my brother's serious heart attack, he lay in a coma(昏迷) in the hospital. Tubes and wires 36 him up to machines that kept him alive. The only sound in his room was the 37 whoosh(呼呼声) of the pump forcing air into his lungs. My sister--in--law stood by 38 . As a minister I had been with families in similar 39 . I had searched for the right 40 , a phrase of hope, trying to 41 them. But this was a new 42 .
During these difficult days, my sister-- in-- law and I were 43 between hope and resignation. We 44 every visitor. We were grateful for their stories of people who had 45 comas and return to 46 . We listened when they talked knowledgeably about the stages of grief. We knew they cared. But many visitors came 47 the door talking, and kept talking. Was that how I had dealt with my nervousness when I didn't know 48 to say?
Then a/n 49 friend came to visit. He stood with us around the bed, looking at my brother's body. There was a long silence. Suddenly 50 with emotion, he said, "I'm sorry." There was another long pause. 51 , he hugged my sister--in--law and then turned to shake my hand. He held it a 52 longer than necessary and squeezed a little harder than 53 . As he looked at me, tears came to his eyes. And then he left. One week later, my brother died.
Years 54 passed and I still remember that visitor. I do not recall his name, but I'll never forget how he shared our grief, quietly and 55 and without awkwardness. His few words spoke volumes.
36. A. added B. hooked C. put D. held
37. A. rhythmical B. loud
C. irregular D. harmonious
38. A. careful B. hopeful C. helpless D. useless
39. A. conversations B. considerations C. locations D. situations
40. A. words B. places C. roles D. choices
41. A. convince B. teach C. comfort D. serve
42. A. challenge B. adventure
C. experience D. opportunity
43. A. filled B. torn C. worn D. settled
44. A. appreciated B. expected C. depended D. evaluated
45. A. suffered from B. shaken off C. come down with D. kept out
46. A. reality B. origin C. function D. normal
47. A. in B. across C. over D. through
48. A. why B. what C. how D. when
49. A. casual B. expected C. close D. familiar
50. A. concentrated B. controlled
C. overcome D. disappointed
51. A. However B. Therefore C. Besides D. Finally
52. A. second B. lot C. great deal D. period
53. A. before B. possible C. usual D. past
54. A. had B. have C. are D. were
55. A. extraordinarily B. desperately C. nervously D. sincerely
答案 36.B 37.A 38.C 39.D 40.A 41.C 42.C 43.B 44.A 45.B 46.D 47.D 48.B 49.A 50.C 51.D 52.A 53.C 54.B 55.D