Passage 2 (江苏省苏州市2007届高三第四次模拟考试) 完形填空
Two runners stand side by side at the starting line of a race. Both look very strong and fast. __36__ one runner speeds ahead and wins the race. The other falls behind.
Some athletes can reach great __37__ such as the achievement of an Olympic gold medal. Others never live up to their __38__. What kind of __39__ before a race or another event makes the __40__?
Everyone knows that athletes work out to strengthen their __41__. But research shows that strengthening the mind may be just as __42__. Careful study indicates（表明）that the best athletes win __43__ because they think they can win.
Thinking positive thoughts seems to give possibility for __44__ in sports. People who say to themselves over and over. “I know I can do this, ” often find they have the __45__to win. On the other hand, people often__46__, who think, “I can’t win.”
One procedure that helps many athletes is creating __47__ in the mind. They are told to think of each __48__ they must make to win. Some use pictures that are more fanciful. One skater liked to __49__ a star bursting inside her, __50__ her with energy. Another athlete who wanted to feel __51__ pictured himself as a __52__ floating in the air.
Next time you want to do something well, try training your __53__ to help you. Perhaps a teacher or another instructor can help you plan your training. If you imagine yourself doing better, you may soon see __54__ in what you __55__ can do. Positive thinking and pictures created in your mind can help you win!
36. A. Therefore B. And C. But D. While
37. A. places B. prizes C. medals D. goals
38. A. place B. promise C. name D. prize
39. A. preparation B. picture C. plan D. work
40. A. same B. difference C. most D. best
41. A. minds B. thoughts C. bodies D. legs
42. A. important B. interesting C. possible D. correct
43. A. mostly B. almost C. partly D. nearly
44. A. success B. goals C. win D. failure
45. A. disadvantage B. advantage C. luck D. hope
46. A. fail B. succeed C. win D. pass
47. A. ideas B. pictures C. thoughts D. movements
48. A. move B. drive C. jump D. place
49. A. think B. imagine C. hope D. wish
50. A. giving B. helping C. filling D. supporting
51. A. calm B. excited C. encouraged D. happy
52. A. fish B. bird C. cat D. horse
53. A. body B. mind C. thought D. imagination
54. A. improvement B. advantage C. chance D. winning
55. A. usually B. really C. possibly D. mostly
答案 36.C 37.D 38.B 39.A 40.B 41.C 42.A 43.C 44.A 45.B 46.A 47.B 48.A 49.B 50.C 51.A 52.B 53.B 54.A 55.B