1. violated 2. delicate 3. contended 4. invasion 5. illustration
6. attendance 7. concessions 8. unique 9. contemplated 10. excess
11. banned 12. symbol 13. figured 14 assemble
1. made some concessions 2. putting…before 3. be untroubled about
4. take it to court
5. came into service 6.in response to 7. rather than 8. focused … on
9. it depends 10. In a flash
1.L 2.J 3.E 4.I 5.D 6.N 7.B 8.O 9.A 10.G
1. calming 2. long-term 3. negative 4. destructive 5. marginal
6. harmful 7. disastrous 8. emotional 9. similar 10. stimulating
1. endurance 2. tolerance 3. defiance 4. attendance
5. acceptance 6. admittance 7. Reliance 8. Observance
1. unanimous 2. unify 3. unicycle 4. unique
5. uniform 6. unite 7. union 8. unity
1. 尽管他们做出了巨大的努力，但目前为止，博物馆每天的参观者仍然 还是很少。(for all; so far)
For all their great efforts, the museum's daily attendance has so far still been very low.
2. 作为对政府检查员批评的回应，公司改变了一些做法，而不是放弃自 己的规定。(in response to; rather than)
In response to criticism by government inspectors, the company changed some of its practices rather than gave up its rules.
3. 警方提醒乘客，不要将钱和贵重物品放在提包里，以防被盗。 (warn against)
The police warned the passengers against putting money and precious things in bags lest they should be stolen.
4. 调查应集中于父母和孩子们如何看待学校满足他们需求的那些办 法。(focus on)
Surveys ought to focus on how parents and children perceive the ways in which the school satisfies their needs.
5. 一瞬间，特斯（Tess）由一个天真的女孩变成了一个成熟、受过 良好教育的女子。 (in a flash)
In a flash, Tess changed from an innocent girl to a mature and well-educated woman.
6. 我能证实200列新火车正在制造中，第一批将在今年五月投入运营 。 (come into service)
I can confirm that 200 new trains are being manufactured and that the first of those trains will come into service in May this year.
1. For all their explanations, the union still believed the company's dress and appearance code offends individual liberty and violates the labor law.
2. Management has granted a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure but refused to make any further concession.
3. We can reform our public health care system, which still gives us, for all its flaws, the best health care in the world.
4. If he has the money and no good excuse for not paying what he owes you, the only solution may be to take him to court.
5. Efforts to resolve the conflict in the Middle East, which has caused more than 100 deaths since February of last year, have so far been fruitless.
6. In this chapter we focus on how to arrange your gathered material in the form of an argument.