16. GO DOWN IN FLAMES: to end or fail suddenly
16.毁于一旦:突然失败

She’d wanted to become Managing Director, but her career went down in flames when they found out she’d been leaking information to our competitors.
自从向竞争对手泄漏公司信息的事败露,她成为总经理的梦想便毁于一旦。

17. TAR SOMEONE WITH THE SAME BRUSH: to believe that someone has the same bad qualities as others in a group
17.一丘之貉:相信同组的人没有差别,一样差劲

I don’t think much of that band, but the singer shouldn’t be tarred with the same brush. She’s got a fantastic voice.
我不觉得乐队怎样,但是歌手不该与他们混为一谈。她的嗓音棒极了。

18. COME OUT SWINGING:to be confrontational and strongly defend yourself at the beginning of a debate
18.相互进行攻击:辩论初始,对抗性地、强烈地捍卫自己的观点

Our local MP came out swinging against the current leadership and demanded that the government resign.
当地议员站出来反对当前的领导班子并要求重组政权。

19. HANG IN THERE: wait and be patient
19.坚持下去:耐心等待

I know you’d really like to call him, but I don’t think that’s the right thing to do now. Just hang in there and he will call you.
我知道你想给他打电话,但这并非一个明智之举。在等一会儿,电话就来了。

20. SHOOT FROM THE HIP: to speak directly
20.信口开河:直言不讳

If you want to get on well with your boss, try not to shoot from the hip next time. You don’t want to offend him, do you?
如果你打算跟老板好好相处,下次就别冲他大喊大叫。你不想冒犯他的,对吧?

21. GO THE EXTRA MILE: to make a special effort/try very hard to achieve your goal
21.付出更多努力:极其努力以实现目标

If you want to become proficient in English, you’ll have to go the extra mile and start learning idioms.
要想精通英语,你必须付出极大努力,还要学习习语。

22. RUNNING ON FUMES:to continue to stay awake when feeling exhausted
22.精疲力尽以后继续奋战:极度劳累的状态下保持兴奋

I’m sorry, but I’ve got to go home now. I haven’t slept for twenty hours and I’m running on fumes.
不好意思,我现在必须得回家。我已经连续20小时没有休息了,早就筋疲力尽了。

23. SOLD ME OUT:to snitch on someone, or let their secret out
23.出卖:揭发别人或泄露他人秘密

I asked you to keep it to yourself! I can’t believe you sold me out, I trusted you!
我嘱咐过你一定得保密!没想到你竟然出卖我,亏我那么相信你!

24. YOU SOLD ME (ON SOMETHING): you convinced me of something, because you were persuasive
24.你说服了我(某事):说服力强,让人信服

OK, you’ve sold me. I’ll go to the match with you.
好吧,听你的,我跟你一起参加比赛。

25. BLEW ME AWAY: when something blows you away, you’re extremely impressed by it
25.被彻底打败:被某物深深迷住,无法自拔

The exhibition just blew me away. I’d never seen so many beautiful paintings before.
我被这个展览彻底吸引了。在此之前,我从未见过如此美妙的画作。

26. BLOW SMOKE:to exaggerate or say things that aren’t true to make you seem better/ more knowledgeable than in reality
26.说空话:夸大并不可靠的假象以显得更加真实

I’m not blowing smoke. I have honestly read War and Peace by Tolstoy.
不说大话,我真的读过托尔斯泰的《战争与和平》。

27. CRY WOLF: to call for help when you don’t need it
27.谎报军情:在不需要帮忙的时候请求帮助

Do you think Peter is in trouble or is he just crying wolf?
你觉得皮特真的遇上麻烦了还是谎报军情?

28. COULDN’T CARE LESS:used to express total lack of interest in something
28.漠不关心:表示对某事极不关心

That man stole a bottle of wine from the shop.

-Oh, really? I couldn’t care less.

那人从商店偷了一瓶酒。

-是吗?对此我一点都不关心。

29. BE CHUFFED TO BITS:to be pleased and happy
29.心满意足:感到愉悦或开心

Hey, thanks for the present! I’m chuffed to bits.
你能来,我太开心了。

30. FEELING UNDER THE WEATHER:to be ill or unable to do regular activities
30.感觉不适:生病或无法正常活动

I think I’m going to have to take the day off work. I feel quite under the weather today.
身体有些不适,今天我得请假。

声明:本双语文章的中文翻译系沪江英语原创内容,转载请注明出处。中文翻译仅代表译者个人观点,仅供参考。如有不妥之处,欢迎指正。