Today after work,
今天下班后

as I was driving home,
我驱车回家

I realized my brake wasn't working.
忽然发现,车上的刹车失灵了

I started to panic
我开始陷入恐慌

and managed to pull over,
总算停下了车子

luckily
十分幸运

without crashing into anything
没有撞上任何障碍物

(or anyone).
也没有撞到任何人

It started to rain
这时开始下雨

and get dark.
天也黑了

Our campus happens to be in an urban area.
我读书的校区远在市中心

I am a medical student.
我是一个医学院的学生

I have a 19-year old car.
开着一辆已经服役19年的老车

And now
而此刻

I found myself parked right in front of the hospital helicopter pad
我发现自己正停在一座医院门前的直升机停机坪上

during traffic
正是交通高峰

so I knew
我知道

I had to move my car immediately
自己必须立刻把车挪开

(without the brake).
而且还没有刹车

Poetic...
压力山大!

As I was struggling to figure out what to do,
正当我想破脑壳寻找办法的时候

a middle-aged black man knocked on my car window
一位非裔的中年男子敲了敲我的车窗

and asked me
他问我

if I needed help.
我是不是需要帮助

I rolled down the window
我把车窗降下来

and explained to him
向他解释

what happened.
发生了什么

He said
他说

it could be that
或许事情的原由

I was out of brake fluid
是因为我车上的刹车油用完了

because that happened to his daughter's car.
因为他女儿的车也发生过这样的情况

I thanked him for his help.
我感谢他的帮助

This man later came back
不多时,这个男人又走回来

with a bottle of brake fluid.
还带着一瓶刹车油

Not only did he go and buy it with his own money,
他不仅亲自为我去买了刹车油,自己掏腰包

he helped me open up the hood,
还帮我打开顶盖

put the fluid in,
把刹车油倒了进去

and then
随后

he knelt down on the wet ground
他双膝跪在湿滑的路面上

to inspect the brake seal in the rain.
冒着雨帮我检查刹车密封

I offered to pay for the brake fluid,
我提出要把买刹车油的钱还给他

but he refused to take my money.
他却拒绝收我的钱

As I reached out to shake his hand,
我伸出手,想要与他握手的时候

which now was covered in grease from my car,
我发现他的手沾满了车上的油污

I found out
我得知

that he once had a daughter,
他曾经有一个女儿

and her name was Miracle...
她的名字叫“奇迹”

I will not forget his kindness.
我永不会忘记他的善良