When she entered the house she perceived in a moment from her mother's triumphant manner that something had occurred in the interim.
她进了家,立刻就从她母亲得意洋洋的脸色上看出,在她不在家这段时间里,已经发生了什么事。

'Oh yes; I know all about it! I told 'ee it would be all right, and now 'tis proved!'
“啊,我说得不错吧;我全知道啦!我告诉过你这件事是不会错的,现在不是证实了?”

'Since I've been away? What has?' said Tess rather wearily.
“是不是我不在家时发生了什么事?又证实了什么事?”苔丝十分厌倦地说。

Her mother surveyed the girl up and down with arch approval, and went on banteringly: 'So you've brought 'em round!'
她的母亲一脸调皮的神气,把女儿上上下下打量了一番,开玩笑地说:“你到底讨得他们的欢心了!”

'How do you know, mother,'
“你是怎样知道的,母亲?”

'I've had a letter.'
“我收到了一封信。”

Tess then remembered that there would have been time for this.
这时苔丝才想起来,是有时间把信送到这儿。

'They say - Mrs d'Urberville says - that she wants you to look after a little fowl-farm which is her hobby. But this is only her artful way of getting 'ee there without raising your hopes. She's going to own 'ee as kin - that's the meaning o'.'
“他们说——德贝维尔太太说——养鸡是她的爱好,她有一个小小的养鸡场,想让你去照料。不过这只是她的委婉说法,既要你去她那儿,又不激发起你的希望。她是想认你做亲戚呀——这就是她的意思。”

'But I didn't see her.'
“可是我没有见过她呀。”

'You zid somebody, I suppose?'
“我想你见到过什么人吧?”

'I saw her son.'
“我见到过她的儿子。”

'And did he own 'ee?'
“他认不认你做亲戚呀?”

'Well - he called me Coz.'
“哦——他叫我堂妹。”