SECTION 1: LISTENING TEST (30 minutes)
Part A: Spot Dictation
Directions: In this part of the test, you will hear a passage and read the same passage with blanks in it. Fill in each of the blanks with the word or words you have heard on the tape. Write your answer in the corresponding space in your ANSWER BOOKLET. Remember you will hear the passage ONLY ONCE.
When you stop and think about your high school or college alma mater, were your experiences more positive or negative? Do your feelings of ____________(1) in that school have anything to do with whether or not your school was single-sex or coed? ____________(2) to send their children to single-sex schools, because they feel both ______________(3) when they study in the company of students of the same sex. They _______________(4).
For years, only parents who could afford to send their children to private schools or who had _____________________(5) chose single-sex education for their children. Single-sex schooling was ___________(6) for most American families. Today, however, along with _______________(7), public schools are experimenting with the idea of _____________(8).
Girls may be the ones who benefit most from single-sex schooling. Studies have shown that _____________(9) in coed classrooms because teachers sometimes pay more attention to boys. Girls' _____________(10) toward their studies tends to disappear as they began to feel less successful. They start to ___________(11) outperform them in math and science. As boys ____________(12), girls start to lose it. Moreover, adolescence is __________(13) for girls. As they experience adolescent changes some girls become depressed, develop an addiction or suffer from _____________(14).
In the early 1990s, some influential people said that being in single-sex classes could ___________(15). Schools across the country began creating single-sex classrooms and schools but many critics claim that ______________(16) may actually be detrimental to a girls' education, because they ___________(17) of sex differences.
The renewed interest in single-sex schooling ________________(18) among Americans. Those who give it full endorsement believe girls need an all-female environment to take risks and find their own voices. Those who ______________(19) of single-sex schooling wonder whether students' lack of achievement warrants returning to an educational system that divides the sexes. They believe there is no ___________________(20).
Part B: Listening Comprehension
Directions: In this part of the test there will be some short talks and conversations. After each one, you will be asked some questions. The talks, conversations and questions will be spoken ONLY ONCE. Now listen carefully and choose the right answer to each question you have heard and write the letter of the answer you have chosen in the corresponding space in your ANSWER BOOKLET.
Questions 1 to 5 are based on the following conversation.
1. What is the woman's present job?
2. Which of the following is not involved in the woman's present job?
3. What foreign languages does the woman speak?
4. What salary does the woman expect from her perspective of employer?
5. Which of the following statements is true about the woman according to the conversation?
Questions 6 to 10 are based on the following interview.
6. How many lives has the Dengue fever outbreak claimed in India?
7. Which of the following statements best describes Britain's current economic situation?
8. What is reported to have happened in Gaza city early Tuesday morning?
9. What do the new regulations stipulate according to South African Department of the Environment？
10. Which of the following statements is true about Hawaii's disaster early Sunday?
Questions 11 to 15 are based on the following interview.
11. What is meant in the interview by the term ‘presenteeism'?
12. For what reason is ‘presenteeism' considered as a problem for companies?
13. What percentage of employers will actually send an employee home when finding him/her sick?
14. Employers do several things to prevent sick people from coming to work. Which of the following is not one of these things?
15. According to the interview, which of the following are the primary carrier of germs?
Questions 16 to 20 are based on the following interview.
16. Which of the following best describes the drug problem in the U.S.?
17. How much is spent each year in fighting against the use of illegal drugs in the U.S.?
18. Which of the following is cited as evidence in support of the proposal to make drugs legal?
19. There are several arguments against legalizing drugs, which of the following is not one of these arguments?
20. Which of the following statements is true according to the passage?