41. He ____have been nervous because he didn’t go straight in.
A. ought to B. mustC. should D. had to
42. I am quite sure that I can ____ Michael into letting us use his car tomorrow.
A. speak B. talk C. tell D. say
43. Jean could be a very attractive girl but she____to her clothes.
A. pays no attention B. was paying no attention C. paid no attention D. had paid no attention
44. When questioned by the interviewer, my mind went____, and I could hardly remember my own date of birth.
A. blank B. dim C. faint D. vain
45. The textbook question as well as other issues is going to be discussed when the congress is in____again next spring.
A. assembly B. convention C. conference D. session
46. To drive a car safely, it is____good brakes.
A. essential with B. essential having C. essential to have D. essential have
47. As I regard it, you can widen the ____ of these improvements through your active participation.
A. volume B. dimension C. magnitude D. scope
48. “Can you ride a horse?”“No, I never had the chance ____.”
A. for learning B. for learning how C. how to learn it D. to learn how
49. As electric lines were destroyed by the storm, they were forced to light for several days.
A. go over B. go in for C. go without D. go out
50. To survive in the intense market competition, we must____the qualities and varieties of products we make to the world-market demand.
A. improve B. guarantee C. gear D. enhance
51. “Maria has blisters in her boots.”“She____walking such a long distance.”
A. was used not to B. used to C. is not used to D. did not used to
52. In ancient times people who were thought to have the ability to ____dreams were likely to be highly respected.
A. impart B. inherit C. interpret D. intervene
53. It was ____that we felt tired when we arrived.
A. a so long travel B. such a long travel C. such a long journey D. such a so long journey
54.____his poor record in school, the board thinks that he should study hard.
A. In spite of B. In charge of C. In view of D. In case of
55. “What authors do you like?”“Shakespeare is____.”
A. favorite for me B. my favorite C. for me the favorite D. the favorite of mine
56. We hadn’t expected a power cut so we were astonished when the whole house was ____into darkness.
A. dived B. plunged C. drowned D. dropped
57. Without a (an)____passport a tourist is forbidden to enter a country.
A. operative B. effective C. valid D. efficient
58. Although the town had been attacked by the storm several times,____was done.
A. a few damages B. few damages C. little damage D. a little damage
59. Before the tourists set off, they spent much time setting a limit____the expenses of the trip.
A. for B. in C. to D. about
60. “Tina looks especially pretty tonight.”“Yes, she always looks her best in ____of that color.”
A. dress B. a dressC. that dress D. the dress
61. Despite the wide range of reading material specially written or____for language learning purposes, there is yet no comprehensive systematic program for the reading skills.
A. appointed B. assembled C. acknowledged D. adapted
62. Internet, a____of millions of computers linked world wide, is the largest system serving e-mail messengers.
A. unity B. connection C. network D. combination
63. “ How dark your brother’s hair is!”“It’s ____mine when I was at his age.”
A. no darker than B. no more darker as C. not dark more than D. not darker as
64. It was surprising that the hotel looked rather shabby outside was luxuriously and____ furnished inside.
A. artificially B. arrogantly C. arbitrarily D. artistically
65.____he daydreamed, Peter saw figures in the sky.
A. Until B. Since C. While D. During