1. It was with great delight that I read in your February _____ the letter to the Editor written by Prof. Johnson.
A. issue B. printing C. magazine D. copy
[答案] A. issue.
[注释] 根据题意，此处是指某杂志二月份的那一期，故应选 issue.printing 印刷；印刷术。
至于 copy 与 issue 的区别，copy 指书刊的“本，册”；而 issue 是指报刊或杂志的“期”.
2. What I'm telling you is strictly _____. Do not let anyone know of it.
A. secretive B. special C. individual D.confidential
[答案] D. confidential.
[注释] confidential(=spoken or written in secret) 机密的，应保密的：
The information is confidential.
special 专门的，专用的： a special car(专车).
secretive(=fond of keeping secrets) 爱保密的，守口如瓶的。
3. The author had qualified as a doctor but later gave up the _____ of medicine for full-time writing.
A. prescriptionB. procedure C. treatment D. practice
[答案] D. practice.
1 The lawer has a very good practice.
2 We call a doctor's work and the number of patients he look after his practice.(我们把医生的工作和医治病人的数目称为开业状况.)
prescription 药方；procedure 程序，手续；treatment 治疗，待遇。
4. Julie is one of those women who always _____ the latest fashions.
A. put up with B. come up with
C. get on with D. keep up with
[答案] D. keep up with.
[注释] keep up with 跟上，与……并驾齐驱；及时了解。
put up with 忍受；get on with有进展；生活得……；come up with 提出。
5. Having made his first film earlier this year, he is _____ starting in a new one.
A. currently B. actually C. recently D. lately
[答案] A. currently.
[注释] currently 目前；actually 实际上；recently 近来；lately(=recently) 近来。
start in(on) 开始(做某事)，常用于口语中，如：
1 Fred started in wedding the garden. (弗雷得开始在花园里除草。)
2 If we start in at once,we shall get the job finished early. (如果我们马上开始，我们可以早点完成这项工作。)
6. My house is very _____ for getting to work as it is only a few minutes from the station.
A. comfortable B. suitable C. convenient D. available
[答案] C. convenient.
7. When college students _____ future employment, they often think of status, income, and prestige.
A. demand B. assume C. apply D. anticipate
[答案] D. anticipate.
[注释] anticipate 预料，期望，预望：
The first question is one the John has anticipated. (第一个问题是约翰已经预料到的)
8. Alice _____ her father that both she and her husband would be happy if he would live with them.
A.convinced B.reinforced C.pledged D.required
[答案] A. convince
[注释]convince sb. +that从句意为“使……相信，说服……”。reinforce 加强，增强。pledge发誓，保证。
9. Neither of them thought highly of him and they both tried to _____ him in his work.
A.hamper B.support C.depress D.prevent
[答案] A. hamper.
[注释] hamper(=hinder)阻碍。prevent 防止，后接from.
10. She chose cushions of a color which would _____ her carpet.
A. equal B. agree C. help D. match
[答案] D. match.
[注释] match vt. 匹配；相配：
1 You can't match him in his knowledge of wild plants.(在野生植物知识方面，你无阀于他相比。)
2 Her hat does match her dress.(她的帽子与她的衣服不配。)
match vi. 相配： These gloves don't match.