1. We finally managed to _____ the committee's approval of our plans.
A. secure B. arouse C. acquire D. exert
[答案] A. secure.
[注释] secure 与 acquire 钧有“得到”的含义，但 secure vt. 此处的意思是(=succeed in getting sth. for which there is a great demand)“获得(所需之物)”.
The boy has acquire a fire knowledge of geography.(这男孩已得到一点地理知识。)可见，根据题意应选secure.
2. I have such a bad cold that I have lost all _____ of smell.
A. degree B. sense C. strength D. scent
[答案] B. sense.
[注释] sense 意为“(五官的)感觉”，如：
People have five senses: sight,hearing,smell,taste and touch. scent 气味，香味。
3. She is so _____ that she cried for days when her pet rabbit died.
A. sensitive B. sensible C. imaginative D.impressive
[答案] A. sensitive
4. The lorry driver was badly _____ when his lorry crashed into a wall.
A. damaged B. hit C. hurt D. harmed
[答案] C. hurt
[注释] damage损坏；harm对.....有害；hurt(精神上或肉体上)伤害； hit打击; pain(精神上或肉体上)痛苦。
5. I caught a _____ of the car before it disappeared around the bend.
A. glance B. glimpse C. glare D. gleam
[答案] B. glimpse
[注释] catch (or get) a glimpse of瞥见(强调行为的结果)。
take a glance (or look) at看一眼(强调行为过程本身)。
6. The car salesman took the customer for a driver in the new model in order to _____ its improved features.
A. advocate B.demonstrate C.exhibit D. reveal
[答案] B. demonstrate
demonstrate(=show clearly by giving proof or example)(用实例，证据)证明，表演。
7. The rainbow _____ as the sun came fully out from behind the clouds.
A. dissolved B. removed C. resigned D. disappeared
[答案] D. disappeared
8. All too _____ it was time to go back to school after the glorious summer holidays.
A. often B. fast C. soon D. late
[答案] C. soon
[注释]all too实在太......，all too soon意为太快了，带有惋惜的意味，如：
1.Tom had snatched a short holiday from his work to come here.
2.He said it ended all too soon.（汤姆趁工作之暇匆匆来此渡一短假，他说，假期过得太快了。）
9. Deserts, dry areas with _____ no vegetation, cover more than one-third of the Earth's land surface.
A. surprisingly B. eventually
C. permanently D. virtually
[答案] D. virtually
[注释]virtually(=almost, very nearly; in every way that is really important)几乎，事实上，实际上；
My book is virtually finished,I have only a few changes to make in the writing.( 我的书几乎写完了，我只要在作品中再作一点修改就可以了。)
10. After dinner the minister made a short _____ to the guests.
A. delivery B.pronunciation C.conversation D. speech
[答案] D. speech
[注释]make a speech to sb.(向某人做演讲)。
make conversation with sb.(和某人闲谈conversation常与下列动词搭配：
get (enter) into conversation with(和.....攀谈起来),
have a conversation with(与.....谈话),
interrupt (break off) conversation(中断谈话),
turn the conversation to other matters(把话题转到其他问题上)
His report was good, but his delivery was poor.( 他的报告内容很好，但他的口才太差)。