例：Stand over there ______ you’ll be able to see it better.
A. or B. and C. but D. while
1. I’m trying to break the _______ of getting up too late .
A. tradition B. convenience C. habit D. leisure
2. My parents _____ in Hong Kong. They were born there and have never lived anywhere else.
A. live B. lived C. were living D. will live
3. ---- We’re organizing a party next Saturday, and I’d like you to come.
---- _______! I have another one that day. Thank you just the same.
A. Good luck B. What a pity C. Never do it again D. Well done
4. ______ the project in time, the staff were working at weekends.
A. Competing B. Having completed C. To have completed D. To complete
5. A person ______ e-mail account is full won’t be able to send or receive any e-mails.
A. who B. whom C. whose D. whoever
6. ---- Sorry, I have to ______ now. It’s time for class.
---- OK, I’ll call back later.
A. hang up B. break up C. give up D. hold up
7. It is obvious to the students ______ they should get well prepared for their future.
A. as B. which C. whether D. that
8. Don’t worry if you don’t understand everything, The teacher will ______ the main points at the end.
A. recover B. review C. require D. remember
9. _____ by the advances in technology, many farmers have set up wind farms on their land.
A. Being encouraged B. Encouraging
C. Encouraged D. Having encouraged
10. The art show was _______ being a failure; it was a great success.
A. far from B. along with C. next to D. regardless of
11. ---- Putting on a happy face not only helps us make friends but also makes us feel better.
A. I’d love to B. I’m with you on that
C . It’s up to you D. It’s my pleasure
12. It was a nice house, but _______ too small for a family of live.
A. rarely B. fairly C. rather D. pretty
13. I’m not surprised that he became a writer. Even as a child he had a _____ imagination.
A. clear B. cautious C. funny D. vivid
14. I travel to the Binhai New Area by light railway every day, _____ do many businessmen who live in downtown Tianjin.
A. as B. which C. when D. though
15. This printer is of good quality. If it _______ break down within the first year, we would repair it at our expense.
A. would B. should C. could D. might
The first time I remember noticing the crossing guard was when he waved to me as I drove my son to school. He 16 me with a puzzle ---- all because he waved to me like someone does__17___ seeing a close friend. A big,__18__smile accompanied his wave. For the next few days I tried to__19___his face to see if I knew him. I didn’t. Perhaps he had__20___me for someone else. By the time I contented myself with the__21___that he and I were strangers, we were greeting each other warmly every morning like old friends.
Then one day the__22___was solved. As I__23___the school he was standing in the middle of the road__24___his stop sign. I was in live behind four cars. __25___the kids had reached the safety of the sidewalk, he lowered his sign and let the cars__26___. To the first he waved and__27___ in just the same way he had done to me over the last few days. The kids already had the window down and were happily waving their reply. The second car got the same__28___from the crossing guard, and the driver, a stiff-looking(表情刻板的) businessman, gave a brief, almost__29___wave back. Each following car of kids on their way to school__30___more heartily.
Every morning I continued to watch the man with__31___. So far I haven’t seen anyone__32__ to wave back. I find it interesting that one person can make such a(n) __33___to so many people’s lives by doing one simple thing like waving and smiling warmly. His__34___armed the start of my day. With a friendly wave and smiling face he had changed the__35___of the whole neighbourhood.
16. A. hit B. disappointed C. presented D. bored
17. A. on B. from C. during D. about
18. A. false B. shy C. apologetic D. bright
19. A. research B. study C. recognize D. explore
20. A. praised B. blamed C. mistaken D. respected
21. A. conclusion B. description C. evaluation D. introduction
22. A. argument B. disagreement C. mystery D. task
23. A. visited B. approached C. passed D. left
24. A. drawing back B. putting on C. handing in D. holding out
25. A. Once B. Before C. Unless D. While
26. A. in B. through C. out D. down
27. A. cried B. cheered C. smiled D. gestured
28. A. idea B. reply C. notice D. greeting
29. A. awkward B. angry C. elegant D. patient
30. A. came B. responded C. hurried D. appeared
31. A. surprise B. frustration C. interest D. doubt
32. A. fail B. try C. wish D. bother
33. A. offer B. sacrifice C. promise D. difference
34. A. effectiveness B. cheerfulness C. carefulness D. seriousness
35. A. trends B. observations C. regulations D. feelings