pick just one

1. When someone asks you what your favorite book is and expects you to pick just one.
当有人问你你最喜欢的书是哪一本,并且只让你挑一本时。

interrupt your reading

2. When someone interrupts your reading.
当有人打扰你读书时。

Do Not Disturb

Because, really, a book is basically a Do Not Disturb sign.
说真的,因为书是“请勿打扰”的标志。

movie version

3. When the movie version of a book gets everything wrong.
当书改编成的电影面目全非时。

mental images

4. And completely ruins your mental images of characters.
并且把你脑中对人物的想象全破坏了。

don’t like to read

5. When someone you like tells you they don’t like to read.
当你喜欢的人告诉你他们不喜欢读书时。

forget to eat or sleep

6. When you forget to eat or sleep because a book is so good.
当一本好书让你废寝忘食时。

favorite character dies

7. When your favorite character dies.
当你最喜欢的主人公死掉时。

still alive

And you pretend they’re still alive but it’s just not the same.
你假装他们还活着,但这只是自欺欺人。

harsh review

8. When a book you love gets a harsh review.
当一本你喜欢的书得到差评时。

stops writing mid-series

9. When an author stops writing mid-series.
当一位作家半途而废时。

spoils the ending of a book

10. When someone spoils the ending of a book.
当有人剧透一本书的结局时。

the ending of an entire series

Or worse, the ending of an entire series.
或者更糟,是一个系列的结局时。

bookstore

11. When you walk into a bookstore.
当你走进一家书店时。

in terrible condition

12. When you lend someone a book and get it back in terrible condition.
当你借给别人一本书,他却没有保管的很好时。

never get it back

13. Or never get it back at all.
或者再也拿不回来。

wait a year

14. When you finish a book and have to wait a year for the sequel.
当你读完了一本书,得在等一年才能看到续集时。

makes you cry

15. When a book makes you cry hysterically in public and everyone thinks you’re crazy.
当一本书让你在公众面前哭得歇斯底里,所有人都以为你疯了时。

obscure literary reference

16. When no one gets your obscure literary reference.
当没人听懂你隐晦的文学典故时。

read too much

17. When someone says you read too much.
当有人说你读的太多了时。

no such thing

Because you know there’s no such thing as too many books.
因为你知道永远都不嫌多。