试卷一 (95 min)
Part Ⅰ Listening Comprehension (40 min)
In Sections A, B and C you will hear everything ONCE ONLY. Listen carefully and then answer the questions that follow. Mark the correct answer to each question on your Coloured Answer Sheet.
SECTION A TALK
Questions 1 to 5 refer to the talk in this section .At the end of the talk you w ill be given 15 seconds to answer each of the following five questions. Now listen to the talk.
1. According to the passage, during the 18th and 19th centuries cities we are small in size mainly because ___.
A. the urban population was stable
B. few people lived in cities
C. transport was backward
D. it was originally planned
2. Cities survived in those days largely as a result of ___.
A. the trade activities they undertook
B. the agricultural activities in the nearby areas
C. their relatively small size
D. the non-economic roles they played
3. City dwellers were engaged in all the following economic activities EX CEPT ___.
4. Urban people left cities for the following reasons EXCEPT ___.
A. more economic opportunities
B. a freer social and political environment
C. more educational opportunities
D. a more relaxed religious environment
5. Why did the early cities fail to grow as quickly as expected through out the 18th century?
A. Because the countryside attracted more people.
B. Because cities did not increase in number.
C. Because the functions of the cities changed.
D. Because the number of city people was stable.
SECTION B INTERVIEW
Questions 6 to 10 are based on an interview .At the end of the interview you will be given 15 seconds to answer each of the following five questions. Now listen to the interview.
6. According to Janet, the factor that would most affect negotiations is ___.
A. English language proficiency
B. different cultural practices
C. different negotiation tasks
D. the international Americanized style
7. Janet's attitude towards the Americanized style as a model for business negotiations is ___.
8. Which of the following can NOT be seen as a difference between Brazilian and American negotiators?
A. Americans prepare more points before negotiations.
B. Americans are more straightforward during negotiations.
C. Brazilians prefer more eye contact during negotiations.
D. Brazilians seek more background information.
9. Which group of people seems to be the most straightforward?
A. The British.
D. Not mentioned.
10. Which of the following is NOT characteristic of Japanese negotiators?
SECTION C NEWS BROADCAST
Question 11 is based on the following news. At the end of the news item, you will be given 15 seconds to answer the question. Now listen to the news.
11. The news item is mainly about ___.
A. a call for research papers to be read at the conference
B. an international conference on traditional Tibetan medicine
C. the number of participants at the conference and their nationalities
D. the preparations made by the sponsors for the international conference
Questions 12 and 13 are based on the following news. At the end of the news item , you will be given 30 seconds to answer the questions. Now listen to the news.
12. The news item mainly concerns ___ in Hong Kong.
A. Internet centres
B. an IBM seminar
13. The aims of the three policy objectives include all the following EXCEPT ___.
A. improvement of government efficiency
B. promotion of e-commerce
C. integration of service delivery
D. formulation of Digital 21 Strategy
Questions 14 and 15 are based on the following news .At the end of the news item , you will be given 30 seconds to answer the questions. Now listen to the news.
14. Which of the following records was the second best time of the year by Donovan Bailey?
15. The record shows that Bailey was ___.
A. still suffering from an injury
B. getting back in shape
C. unable to compete with Greene
D. less confident than before