Charlie came from a poor village. His parents had __1__ money to send him to school when he was young. The boy was very sad. Mr. King lived next to him. He found the boy __2__ and had pity on him and lent some money to him. So the boy could go to school. He studied hard and __3__ all his lessons. When he finished middle school, the man introduced him to his friend in the town. And he began to work.
Once Mr. King was seriously hurt in an accident. Dying, he asked Charlie to take care of his daughter, Sharon. The young man __4__ and several years later he married the girl. He loved her very much and tried his best to make her happy. He often bought beautiful clothes and delicious food for her. He was good at cooking and he cooked __5__ for her. So she became very fat and she felt it difficult to walk. And one day she found there was something wrong with her heart. Her husband wasn’t at home and she had to go to __6__ at once. The doctors looked her over and told her __7__ eat meat, sugar, chocolate and things like these. She was afraid __8__ the doctor’s words and wrote all the names of the food on the paper. When she got home, she put the list on the table and __9__. When she returned home that afternoon, she found many kinds of food: meat, sugar and chocolate in the kitchen. Charlie was busy __10__ there. As soon as he saw her, he said happily, “I’ve bought all the food you like, dear!”
1. A. no B. some C. much D. enough
2. A. lazy B. clever C. careful D. hard
3. A. did well in B. was poor at C. was working D. was good for
4. A. was angry B. thought hard C. agreed D. said “No.”
5. A. a little B. a few C. many D. a lot
6. A. rest B. sleep C. hospital D. work
7. A. should B. would C. to D. not to
8. A. to remember B. to forget C. to catch D. to teach
9. A. slept B. went out C. cooked D. ate
10. A. reading B. seeing C. cooking D. writing
1. A. 查理家境贫困，父母没有钱资助他上学，故选no.
2. B. 根据下文，查理不负众望，说明他聪明好学，故选clever.
3. A. 查理学习刻苦，并顺利完成了学业，说明他各门功课成绩较好，故选did well in. D选项介词用错，正确词组为was good at.
4. C. 根据下文查理娶了金先生女儿为妻并精心呵护她，说明查理同意了金先生的请求，故选agreed.
5. D. 根据下文妻子胖得不能走路，说明她食物吃得多。此外食物为不可数名词，因此只能用a lot of来修饰。
6. C. 心脏不好，应去医院检查，下文指出为她检查的正是医生，故选hospital.
7. D. 由于她的病是因营养过剩引起的，医生应让她不要吃肉，糖果之类的食物，故选not to.
8. B. 她害怕忘了医生的指示，因此将其写在纸上，故选to forget.
9. B. 与下文相对应，这里应填went out.
10. C. 擅长烹饪的查理将菜买回之后，肯定要忙着为爱妻做饭，故cooking为正确答案。