作者：素衣 来源：外语教育网 2016-07-22 11:24
Freezing to Death for Beauty
People in Beijing wear a lot of clothing during winter to fend off the cold.In the United States， however， people wear （51） partly because the car is theprimary mode of transportation. Cars take （52） straight to their workplaces，which are heated well. The American diet is full of calories， so their （53）canafford to burn heat more quickly.
Fewer layers of clothing give people the opportunity to stay （54） Lots ofYale girls wear skirts （55） when it's 10 degrees Centigrade outside. Some ofthem at least wear boots， tights， and leg-warmers1.Some，however， really just gofor the look （56）the risk of health2.These girls have nothing to prevent theirlegs （57）the wind， and no socks to protect their feet. A mini skirt and a pairof stilettos are all that they wear.
Typically， the ones pursuing fashion are （58） with little body fat. Just bythe nature of their bodies， they are already at a disadvantage compared withnormal people in （59） weather. I have always （60）， whenever I pass these girls，how they manage to refrain from shivering and just smile like spring hadarrived3.
And then there are the guys. The girls can be said to （61） health forbeauty. But why do guys （62）so little？ It is not like， once they shed somelayers， they suddenly become better-looking. They are not exactly beingfashionable when they （63）wear sporty shorts and shower slippers in the midstof winter. It's not cute.
Of course， people have the freedom to look whatever （64） he want. I am justsurprised that， given the vast difference between winter and summertemperatures in Connecticut， they can still （65）like they are partying on thebeach in the middle of February.
51. A. scarce B. less C. littleD. least
52. A. people B. students C. shoppers D.them
53. A. arms B. heads C. legs D.bodies
54. A. bony B. thin C. fashionable D. hungry
55. A. even B. sometimes C.frequently D. occasionally
56. A. in B. for C.at D. on
57. A. with B. against C. aboveD. under
58. A. fat B. ugly C. short D.skinny
59. A. warm B. cold C. cool D.hot
60. A. dreamed B. stated C. claimed D.wondered
61. A. sacrifice B. devote C.suffer D. endure
62. A. bear B. carry C. wear D.put on
63. A. only B. seldom C. rarelyD. hardly
64. A. method B. road C. way D.avenue
65. A. see B. resemble C. show D.look