How I Lost Four Ounces in Three Weeks（我怎样在三周里减了四盎司体重）
10. I was no more than halfway up the block when I sensed that I had an audience. There were all the children, standing on their front lawns staring at me. I waved. Most likely, they were admiring my brisk
pace. Then I learned the awful
truth. As I turned onto Willow Road, a half-dozen eight-year-olds ran out and settled into a steady trot
11. "Hey, mister
," said one, "my little brother can run faster than this, and he's only six."
12. "Oh, yeah!" I barked. "When he's as old as .. "But there my air ran out
. I stopped talking in order to save my breath.
13. We paced onward. Up ahead, I could see a shady maple tree, and ideal rest stop. Sweat dripped into my eyes as I pushed toward the tree. Then, just as the shade was within reach, a small voice said, "Hey, mister, we'll race you!"
14. The eight-year-olds tore out in front of me and were soon out of sight. My spirit was broken. I staggered
off the road into a clump of underbrush and dropped like a sack of bricks.
15. I was still resting there ten minutes later when I heard children's voices.
16. "They must have caught him," one voice said.
17. "Yes," another replied. "He did all right for an old man, though. He must have run the whole two miles from the mental hospital."
18. Still I wouldn't give up. The best way to run without an audience, I decided, was to run after dark.
19. "Well, enjoy yourself," my wife said. "I've got to drive Andy to his trumpet
20. I set out
into the dark, sure that I would finally reach the Emersons'. I had just turned the corner when something the size of a watermelon shot out at me. It began barking and wouldn't stop. It was the Barts' bulldog. I shouted and sent him back to the Barts' front lawn, but I could feel a rising fear. After all, there were lots of dogs in our neighborhood.