Miles sometime went to the barber's during working hours to have his hair cut. 

麦尔斯有时在上班时间去理发馆理发,

But this was against the office rules: clerks had to have their hair cut in their own time.

但这是违反办公室规定的:职员只能利用自己的时间理发。

While Miles was at the barber's one day,

一天,正当麦尔斯理发时,

the manager of the office came in by chance to have his own hair cut and sat just beside him.

经理碰巧也进来理发,而且就坐在他旁边。

"Hello, Miles," the manager said.

“你好,麦尔斯,”经理说。"

I see that you are having your hair cut in office time."

“我看到你在上班时间理发了。”

"Yes, sir, I am," admitted Miles calmly.

 “是的,先生。正是这样。”麦尔斯平静地承认了。

"You see, sir, it grows in office time."

可先生,你看,头发是在上班时间长的。“

"Not all of it," said the manager at once.

“不全都是吧,”经理立刻说,"

Some of it grows in your own time."

“有一些是在你自己的时间里长的。”

"Yes, sir, that's quite true."

“对呀,先生,你说得很对。”

Answered Miles politely, "but I'm not having it all cut off."

麦尔斯礼貌地回答说,“但我并没有把头发全都剪掉啊。”