Today I posted a picture of our 8-year-old grandson, Eli, running in a race on social website.
今天我在社交网站上发布了一张照片,照片上,我们八岁的小孙子正在一场一场比赛中奋力奔跑。

I tagged a friend, Andrew, to make sure he saw it.
我特意向一个名叫Andrew的朋友发送了提示,希望他能够看到这张照片。 

There was a reason why Andrew was tagged
之所以要对Andrew发出提是有原因的

and I'd like to share the reason why.
我想把与此有关的故事跟你们分享

Our son Todd died suddenly in a car accident at the age of 16.
我们的儿子Todd在一场车祸中意外身亡,年纪才16岁

Todd had been a cross country runner in high school with Andrew
那时Todd正在念高中,和Andrew都是跨国比赛的赛跑选手 

and they had become friends.
他们结成了好友

The day of Todd's calling hours Andrew came to show his respects.
Todd去世的那一天,Andrew也来悼念

My eyes filled with tears when I saw Andrew placed some of his cross country medals in the casket with Todd.
当我看到Andrew把自己在跨国比赛中获得的奖牌放进Todd的遗物匣时,泪水盈满了我的眼睛。

I walked over
我走过去

and asked Andrew why he was putting these medals in the casket .
问Andrew为什么要把那些奖牌放进遗物匣里

Andrew explained to me that
Andrew对我解释说

he would be able to win more medals in the years to come
在今后许多年,他还能赢得更多的奖牌 

and he knew that Todd couldn't.
但他知道,Todd已经没有这样的机会了

I will never forget this unselfish act of kindness.
我永远不会忘记他这样无私而善良的举动

I hope if Eli continues to run he will win some medals too.
我也希望,如果我的孙子Eli 也想参加竞速比赛,他也会赢得奖牌

But most of all I hope Eli will have a kind unselfish heart like Andrew.
但最重要的是,我希望Eli拥有一颗像Andrew那样善良而无私的心