'Angel! - Angel! I was a child - a child when it happened! I knew nothing of men.'
“安琪尔!——安琪尔!我还是个孩子啊——事情发生的时候我还是个孩子啊!男人的事我还一点也不懂啊。”

'You were more sinned against than sinning, that I admit.'
“与其说你犯了罪,不如说别人对你犯了罪,这我承认。”

'Then will you not forgive me?'
“那么你是不会宽恕我的了?”

'I do forgive you, but forgiveness is not all.'
“我的确宽恕你了,但是这不是宽恕的问题呀。”

'And love me?'
“你还爱我吗?”

To this question he did not answer.
关于这个问题,他没有回答。

'O Angel - my mother says that it sometimes happens so! - she knows several cases where they were worse than I, and the husband has not minded it much - has got over it at least. And yet the woman has not loved him as I do you!'
“啊,安琪尔——我母亲说有时候会发生这种事的!——她就知道好几个这样的例子,比我的情形还要严重啦,但是她们的丈夫都并没有怎样在乎——至少没有成为他们之间的障碍啊。可是她们爱她们的丈夫,都不如我爱你呀!”

'Don't, Tess; don't argue. Different societies, different manners. You almost make me say you are an unapprehending peasant woman, who have never been initiated into the proportions of social things. You don't know what you say.'
“不要说了,不要辩解了。社会不同,规矩就不同。你都快要让我说你是一个不懂事的乡下女人了,从来都不懂得世事人情。你都不知道你说的是什么呀。”

'I am only a peasant by position, not by nature!'
“从地位上看我是一个农民,但是从本质上看我并不是一个农民呀!”

She spoke with an impulse to anger, but it went as it came.
她冲动地说,生起气来,但是气还没有生出来就消失了。

'So much the worse for you. I think that parson who unearthed your pedigree would have done better if he had held his tongue. I cannot help associating your decline as a family with this other fact - of your want of firmness. Decrepit families imply decrepit wills, decrepit conduct. Heaven, why did you give me a handle for despising you more by informing me of your descent! Here was I thinking you a new-sprung child of nature; there were you, the belated seedling of an effete aristocracy!'
“这对你来说更是糟糕透顶。我倒觉得那个把你的祖先考证出来的牧师,如果他闭上嘴巴反而更好些。我忍不住要把你们家族的衰败同另外的事联系起来——同你缺少坚定联系起来。衰败的家族就意味着衰败的意志,衰败的行为。老天啊,你为什么要告诉我你的身世,给我一个把柄,让我更加瞧不起你呢?我原来以为你是一个自然的新生女儿;谁知道你竟是一个没落了的贵族家庭的后裔呢!”