新视野大学英语1读写教程教案unit 4 How to Make a Good Impression
Unit 4 Section A
How to Make a Good Impression
Students will be able to:
1. grasp the main idea of the text ( Qualities that we can use to impress others.)
2. master the key language points and grammatical structures in the text;
3. conduct a serious of reading, listening, speaking and writing activities related to the theme of the unit.
1. How long does it take us to judge the people we meet?
--------we judge other people within the first seven seconds of meeting them.
2. What is one way you can have a positive effect on other people?
-------by using unspoken languages, such as eye contacts, facial expressions and body movements.
3. What is the key to being the best person you can be?
--------the key to being the best person is try to be oneself and try to think as much of others as of myself.
1. Main idea of the text:In the passage, several points that we can make use of to impress others are listed : you are the message; be yourself; use your eyes; and lighten up.
2. Division of the text:
PartⅠ(Para.1-2): Research shows that we make up our minds about people through unspoken communication within seven seconds of meeting them.
PartⅡ(Para.3-14):The four qualities we can use to impress others：you are the message; be yourself; use your eyes; lighten up
PartⅢ(Para.15):We all have within ourselves the power to make a good impression. Just be ourselves and we’ll make it.
3. Structure Analysis:
A Paragraph of a Statement Supported by a List of Things:
In this Passage, the writer presents the reader his ideas about How to Make a Good Impression” with a general statement that is supported by a list of examples.
This is one of the most common ways to support an idea or an opinion, very effectively, especially for a short paragraph.
The key points for this kind of structure are:
1. You have to list examples, just by naming them. It is not necessary to go into details about the examples, as the list of examples is quite enough to support the point.
2. All the examples in the list must be supporting the point you are making.
A. New words:
n. a meeting with someone that happens by chance意外(或偶然)相遇
eg. a short encounter with a friend与一位朋友的短暂相遇
vt. meet or have to deal with (sth. bad, esp. a danger or difficulty)
eg. If you take up this assignment, you are likely to encounter many difficulties.
the presenting of something表现，描述
eg, I was asked to give a short presentation on the aims of the plan.
vt, make someone feel admiration and respect给……深刻的印象，使钦佩
eg, She's always trying to impress people with her writings.
1. always having the same opinions, standard, behaviour, etc.一贯的
eg, He was consistent in arriving late. 他一贯迟到。
eg. This report is consistent with what we already know.
make someone unhappy使抑郁，使沮丧
The thought of going to work tomorrow really depresses me.想到明天要上班我就心烦。
He's been very depressed since he lost his job.自失去工作以来他心情一直不好.
B. Phrases and expressions
range from… to… (L. 4)
occur from...to... 从... 到... (范围或幅度内)变化
eg. His feelings on the matter have ranged from bitterness to hope.
The market prices of commercial housing range from 2,000 to 8,000 yuan per square meter. 商品房的市场价格每平方米从2000元到8000元不等。
focus on (L. 6)
direct (something such as one's attention) firmly on (a subject); pay attention to
eg. He focused his attention on the map.他的注意力都集中在那张地图上。
The speech focused on the way the Internet influenced our life.
drive everyone crazy (L. 24)
make someone feel very angry or annoyed逼得某人发疯，或受不了
eg. His lack of order drove his girlfriend crazy.他的不修边幅令他的女友受不了。
be at one’s best (L. 26)
in one's best state or condition处于最佳状态，在全盛时期
eg. This is an example of his work at its best.这代表了他最佳时期的作品。
I’m never at my best in the morning; therefore I can’t help falling asleep in class, especially when the teacher’s lecture is dull.
take …seriously (L. 51)
treat a thing or person as important认真地对待某人或某事
eg. Don't take him seriously-he's often joking. 别跟他认真-- 他常开玩笑。
C. Typical Patterns:
1. Typical patterns for starting a topic through evidence or questions
1) A large body of research (evidence / study / facts / experience / data) show(s) (proves / suggests / indicates)that…
(从句--Topic) 大量的研究(证据/ 研究/事实/经验/数据)显示(证明/表明)，……
Eg.The data given in the table show that dramatic changes have taken place in student use of computers during the past five years.
2. Typical patterns for argumentation through a list of examples
1) Sb. does one thing, does another thing, …(a list of examples). The secret / basic problem is that…(作者的观点)
Eg. You can dream of becoming a civil engineering expert, a biologist and even a geophysicist. But the basic problem is what qualities you have to realize one after another of your dreams
1) Sb. / Sth. is the same (Sb. does sth.)whether …, … or …(a list of examples).
无论是……时，……时， 还是……时，某人/ 某物的表现是一样的(某人仍做某事)。
Eg. Their love for each other remained what it had always been whether their life was deep in difficulty, free from storms or full of lures.
无论他们的生活艰难时，风平浪静时， 还是充满诱惑时, 他们始终相爱如初。
3. Typical patterns for argumentation through “if” clause
1) Sb. will (not) do sth. if / as long as / provided … ,(说话者的情景设定)
Eg. Sometimes, we will be able to fulfill ourselves if we just draw upon a little more
Summary of the Text
Scientific research _____ that within the first seven seconds of meeting others we can make __ our minds about them through a chain of ________; because ___________ or unconsciously, we show our ____ feelings with our eyes, faces, bodies and _________. If we want to leave a good impression on others and get their ___________ , we should make full ____ of our good qualities, such as physical __________, energy, rate of speech, pitch and tone of voice and ________. We should be ____________ ourselves, at our best when communicating with others. _____ others believe what they see ____ what they hear, we must use our eyes to look directly at them and _____ to convey the ___________ that we are sincere and _______. Sometimes, ______ can work for us in a _________ situation. All we have to do is to _______ up and be our true selves. Once we have done the above, we already have within us the _____ to lead ourselves to _______ in social life.
(keys: shows, up, reactions, consciously, true, attitudes, cooperation, use, appearance, appearance, consistently, Since, over, smile, information, relaxed, humor, stressing, lighten, power, success)
Work in small groups and discuss the following questions.
1. How does our body language affect our social activities?
2. How should we use our body language to make a good impression on others?
2. Structured Writing
Practice writing a paragraph that start with a general statement and goes on to list several examples to support it. There are a few topics to choose from. One of them has more details that you can follow if you want to.
1) Detailed outline:
A general statement: many kinds of sports on our university grounds
List of examples: football / basketball / racing / baseball / tennis / swimming / high jumping / weight lifting
2) Other topics :
Many ways to improve your English
Many kinds of books and magazines in our university library
1. Finish the exercises in Section A.
2. Prepare for Section B.
1. activity / act / action / active / inactive
act / action / activity
Actions speak louder than words.
He likes taking part in all kinds of social activities.
He was highly praised for that brave act.
We offer our clients a wide range of outdoor/ sporting/ educational activities.
e.g. Primitive people regarded storms as an act of God.
He is a man of action, not words.
e.g. He was caught in the act of stealing.
We must take action to deal with the problem.
It's time to put our plan into action.
2. aggression / aggressive / aggress / aggressor / invader
3. active 主动的;积极的/ passive 消极的;positive: negative / pessimist; 被动; radical / conservative; optimistic / optimism / optimist / pessimistic / pessimism
4. account / on account of = because of / account for (v.说明, 占, 解决, 得分)/ on no account / on all accounts; under no conditions (circumstances) / in no case
5. be content to do/ be content with
1. It was difficult to guess what her ______ to the news would be. (CET-4, 91-6, 42题)
A) impression B) reaction C) comment D) opinion
2. Sometimes the student may be asked to write about his ______ to a certain book or article that has some bearing on the subject being studied. (CET-4, 91-6, 42题;硕士统考, 1998-1, 30题)
A) comment (on / upon /about) B) reaction 对……作出反应;(感受) C) impression (of / about / on) D) comprehension
It was difficult to guess what her ______ to the news would be. (CET-4, 91-6, 42题)
A) impression B) reaction C) comment D) opinion
3. When she was criticized, she claimed that it was outside her ______ of responsibility. (CET-4, 94-1, 49题)
A) field B) limit C) extent D) range
4. For more than 20 years, we've been supporting educational programs that _____ from kindergartens to colleges. (CET-4, 99-6, 44题;2004-6, 35题)
A) move B) shift C) range D) spread
When she was criticized, she claimed that it was outside her ______ of responsibility. (CET-4, 94-1, 49题)
A) field B) limit C) extent D) range
The price of beer ______ from 50 cents to $ 4 per liter during the summer season. (CET-4, 99-6, 44题)
A) altered B) ranged C) separated D) differed
5. All her energies are ________ upon her children and she seems to have little time for anything else. (CET-4, 2003-1, 37题)
A) guided B) aimed C) directed D) focused
6. John's mindless exterior concealed a warm and kindhearted nature. (在职硕士,2000-6, 18题)
A) appearance B) personality C) outlook D) temper
7. The survival of some wild animals ______ is not very high as they are ruthlessly hunted for their skins. (硕士统考, 1988-1, 11题)
A) rate B) degree C) ratio n.比, 比率, 比值 D) scale
inflation / birth / death / interest / marriage / exchange / crime rate
Camels travel at a rate of 10 miles an hour.
What is the postage rate for a parcel to the US?
8. She came to me at last and related her whole situation in a ______ of the deepest despair. (CET-3, 1999-1, 67题)
A) sound B) voice C) tone D) noise
accent n.重音, 口音, / tone n.音调, 音质, 语调, 语气, 气氛 / voice / dialect n.方言
9. She was so ______ in her job that she didn’t hear anybody knocking at the door. (CET-4, 96-1, 25题)
A) attracted B) absorbed C) drawn D) concentrated
10. It is our _____ policy that we will achieve unity through peaceful means. (CET-4, 2000-1, 54题)
A) consistent B) continuous C) considerate D) continual
11. What you say now is not ______ with what you said last week. (CET-6, 2002-6, 49题)
A) consistent. B) persistent C) permanent D) insistent
be consistent with = correspond with v.符合, 一致 (be identical with/ correspond with )
His words correspond with his actions.
consist of / consist in
Our class consists of 45 students.
Success consists in diligence.
12. Many people lost their jobs during the business ______. (CET-4, 2003-6, 68题)
A) desperation B) decrease C) despair D) depression
13. When business is ______, there is usually an obvious increase in unemployment. (CET-6, 96-1, 47题)
A) degraded B) depressed C) reduced D) lessened
14. The chairman of the board ______ on me the unpleasant job of dismissing good workers the firm can no longer afford to employ. (硕士统考, 2001-1, 15题)
A) compelled B) posed C) pressed D) tempted
15. You see the lightning ______ it happens, but you hear the thunder later. (CET-4, 97-1, 38题)
A) the instant B) for an instant C) on the instant D) in an instant
16. Before he started work, I asked the builder to give me an _____ of the cost of repairing the roof. (CET-6, 1993-6, 56题)
A) assessment B) estimate C) announcement D) evaluation
Underestimate / overestimate
17. It is said that the math teacher seems ______ towards bright students. (CET-4, 2000-6, 39题)
A) liable B) partial C) beneficial D) preferable
18. ______ should any money be given to a small child. (CET-6, 1991-6, 63题)
A) On no account B) From all accounts
C) Of no account D) By all accounts
19. You must take into ______ the heavy rain, which may delay the train. (CET-3, 2000-6, 64题)
A) regard B) account C) observation D) counting
account for / on account of (because of) / on no account / count on
20. The government is trying to do something to ______ better understanding between the two countries. (CET-4, 97-6, 39题)
A) raise B) promote C) heighten D) increase
21. The exhibition is designed to facilitate further cooperation between Chinese TV industry and overseas TV industries. (在职硕士, 1998-6, 25题)
A) establish B) maximize C) guarantee D) promote
22. The Christmas tree was decorated with shining ______ such as colored lights and glass balls. (CET-6, 2001-1, 35题)
A) ornaments B) luxuries C) exhibits D) complements
23. Mrs. Brown couldn’t shake the _______ that these kids were in deep trouble and it was up to her to help them. (在职硕士, 2002-6, 35题)
A) conversion 变换, 转化 B) conviction 确信, 定罪 C) conservation D) convention 大会, 习俗, 惯例
24. We have planned an exciting publicity _______ with our advertisers. (CET-4, 2003-1, 46题)
A) struggle B) campaign C) battle D) conflict