Printout errors, scuffed coloured card - as long as it still has some trace of a writeable surface on it, it's spared the recycling bin and knocked up into a notebook. Bookbinding is a craft with some truly remarkable outcomes, where you can get really creative and experimental.

出现印刷错误的纸张,磨坏的彩色卡片,只要这些东西还能写,就不用扔进回收垃圾箱,不如拿来做一本记事本。装订可是一门需要想象力和实验精神的活,成品也许会好得让你不敢相信呢。


What you need
材料


A stack of paper
一叠纸

A ruler
一把尺子

A pencil
一支铅笔

A thick sewing needle
一根粗粗的缝衣针

Strong string or thread
粗线或细绳

A thick needle topped with a wedge of cork (or a mini hand-drill)

一根粗粗的有楔形软木塞顶在上面的针,或者一个微型手钻

A small clamp (if you have one) 一个小夹钳
A cutting mat
一个裁切垫


What to do
步骤


1. Stack all your papers together. It doesn't matter if they are different textures, colours or thicknesses - I find this actually makes the book more interesting - they just need to be cut to one size (of your own choosing).

把纸都堆起来,质地、颜色、厚薄不同也没关系,这样反而让最终的成品记事本看上去更好玩。记得裁成你需要的尺寸就行。


2. With all the papers aligned against their left-hand edge, place them on your cutting mat. Using a ruler, mark a light line with your pencil down the left-hand edge, about 1-2cm in. Mark increments down this line, between 1-2cm apart. Remember the more widely spaced the increments, the longer yourstitches will be, and the quicker your book will take to sew. The shorter, the more labour-intensive, but also the more refined.

纸张靠左对齐,放在垫子上。用尺子在左边画一条直线,离边缘1-2厘米。在直线上每隔1-2厘米做一个标记。记号间隔越宽,就表明阵脚越宽,也缝得越快。反之,劳神费时,但成品质量更好。


3. Align all your pages once more on the cutting mat. If you have a small clamp, use this to fix the pages to something solid, like the corner of a table. If not, press down hard on the top of your stack and start pushing through your increments with a thick needle or drill. Depending on how thick your book is you might be able to do this in one go. If not, separate your pages into sections, mark each one up, push through the holes and then combine.

如果你有夹钳的话,把这叠纸夹到一个固定的物体上, 比如桌角。或者压紧,然后用针或者手钻开始在直线上做记号的地方打孔。如果纸堆太厚,可以分开打。


4. Thread your needle.

往针上穿线。


5. Push your needle from underneath your stack at the bottom hole, leaving a good 12.5cm of string spare when you pull the thread through. Don't tie a knot at the end.

从最地下一个孔那里开始穿线,留下一截12.5厘米长的线头,不要打结。


6. Weave your way up the spine of the book, threading each hole. When you reach the top, go back the other way so that each hole has been gone through twice and you have a continuous line of thread up the spine.

连线穿过这些小孔,再返回连第二遍,这样书脊处就被一条完整的线给装订了起来。


7. When you reach the bottom, cut the needle loose and tie the two spare threads together - I like a lavish bow!

再次回到底部那个针孔时,就可以和先前留下线头一起打一个结——大大的夸张的蝴蝶结最好不过。



新春课程温暖上线,春季,和网校一起成长!
中级口译春季班
高级口译春季班
商务英语BEC【初级春季班】HOT!
商务英语BEC【中级春季班】