Lizzie McGuire is a Disney Channel Original Series that aired on the Disney Channel from 2001 until 2004. Its target demographic was preteens and adolescents. The TV show was created by Terri Minsky.
The show's creatively offbeat, mixed media format stood out from the rest of the Disney Channel's programming of the time and, in essence, became the channel's flagship and definitive show of the early 2000s. The show's producer Stan Rogow says the visual look of the show was partly inspired by Run Lola Run. Production was completed in 2002 after the show fulfilled its 65 episode order.
* Lizzie McGuire (Hilary Duff): Lizzie is the main character of the show. She is portrayed as a fun teen although her animated alter ego displays her true feelings from time to time including becoming rebellious, disrespectful and rude in the episode "Bad Girl McGuire". Lizzie constantly gets into arguments with her younger brother Matt but is well-aware of what is right and wrong.
* Miranda Sanchez (Lalaine): Miranda is one of Lizzie's best friends; She, Lizzie, and Gordo form the main triumvirate. Miranda is the most self-conscious of the three as is evident in an episode in which she skips meals to get an "anorexic" look, but Lizzie and Gordo always see through her crisis. Her family is Hispanic, but she speaks very little Spanish. Miranda's middle name is revealed to be Isabella in the episode, "Rated Aargh". She did not appear in the last six episodes, nor in The Lizzie McGuire Movie. During this time, her character was said to be vacationing with her family in Mexico.
* Gordo (Adam Lamberg): Gordo is one of Lizzie's best friends and has been since they were two days old. He usually offers sarcasm and good advice. He is portrayed as being very intelligent, practical, and he is a "Straight A" student. He was revealed to be Jewish, as shown in one episode where he had a Bar Mitzvah. In the episode "The Untitled Stan Jenson Project," it was revealed that Lizzie had a crush on him in the fourth grade. In The Lizzie McGuire Movie, Gordo was pulled into a lip-lock with Lizzie after she realizes what a big mistake she has made. In the episode "Dear Lizzie", it is revealed that Gordo has a crush on Lizzie.
* Matt McGuire (Jake Thomas): Matt is Lizzie's little brother. As a stock character, he was often destroying something. He had a best friend named Lanny, who did not speak on-screen. Matt was clever and wily and had a reputation for getting into trouble. Matt and Lizzie shared a typical brother-sister relationship. They fooled around, annoyed each other, but were always there for each other at the end of each episode. He was rather intelligent and creative and knew how to humor people. Matt's favourite color is Yellow.
* Jo McGuire (Hallie Todd): Jo is Lizzie and Matt's mother. She cared deeply about Lizzie but was still trying to figure out how to raise a teenager. As a result, she sometimes tended to "mess up" situations in Lizzie's life while trying to help make them better. At the end of each episode, Jo and Lizzie tend to come to an understanding and portray the unfaltering love of a mother-daughter relationship.
* Sam McGuire (Robert Carradine): Sam is Lizzie and Matt's father. He could be best described as a bit goofy and quite clueless about raising his kids. However, he always tried his best to help Lizzie out and understand her and was always available to lend a helping hand.