Great teaching seems to have less to do with our knowledge and skills than with our attitude toward our students, our subject, and our work.
1. A great teacher respects students. Students feel safe to express their feelings and learn to respect and listen to others.
2. A great teacher creates a sense of community and belonging in the classroom. In this small community, there are rules to follow and jobs to be done and each student is aware that he or she is an important, integral part of the group.
3. A great teacher is warm, accessible
and caring. Great teachers possess good listening skills.
4. A great teacher sets high expectations for all students. This teacher realizes that the expectations she has for her students greatly affect their achievement.
5. A great teacher has his own love of learning and inspires students with his passion for education.
6. A great teacher is a skilled leader. This great teacher conveys
this sense of leadership to students by providing opportunities for each of them to assume
7. A great teacher is flexible
when a lesson isn’t working. This teacher finds new ways to make sure that every student understands the key concepts
8. A great teacher collaborates
on an ongoing basis. A great teacher uses constructive criticism
and advice as an opportunity to grow as an educator.