We get it, idioms are weird, and often have nothing to do with their literal meaning. But here is a list of ten of the funniest English idioms and how to use them!
1. The lights are on but nobody’s home – used to describe a stupid person.
Example: She really has no clue- the lights are on but nobody’s home!
2. When pigs fly – about something that will never happen.
Example: Yea, right! You will get Taylor Swift to ask you on a date when pigs fly!
3. To have Van Gogh’s ear for music – to be tone deaf .(Van Gogh only had one ear!)
Example: Xavi really shouldn’t play the piano- he has Van Gogh’s ear for music.
4. To pig out – to eat a lot very quickly.
Example: After the marathon, the runners pigged out at a dinner buffet.
5. Everything but the kitchen sink – almost everything has been included.
Example: Maria was trying so hard to get the question right, she was throwing out everything but the kitchen sink!
6. To put a sock in it – to tell someone noisy to be quiet.
Example: Jane was yelling while I was studying so I told her to put a sock in it.
7. To have a cast iron stomach – to have no problems eating or drinking anything.
Example: I think I would be sick if I ate all that food, but Joe seems to have a cast iron stomach.
8. To drink like a fish – to drink heavily.
Example: The group at the bar seems to being having a party and you can tell he’s the birthday boy because he is drinking like a fish!
9. Use your loaf – use your head, think smart.
Example: Come on Parker, use your loaf! I know you can solve this problem!
10. Finger lickin’ good – extremely tasty.
Example: My mom makes the best steak! It’s finger lickin’ good!
Are there any other weird idioms that you find funny? Share with us!