- Inexpressible anguish
- Pain had lined his forehead.
- I hoped that this might end my suffering.
- He sought not to efface sorrow by forgetfulness, but to magnify and dignify it by hope
- The sadness which reigned everywhere was but an excuse for unfailing kindness
- The last little act of beneficence soothed Bonhag's lacerated soul a little
- What say you to that torture of tantalus as applied to a mother?
- "May she wake in torment!" he cried, with frightful vehemence, stamping his foot
- He was in torment after the operation.
- Seth was tormented by feelings of guilt.
- Tormented by hunger,anxiety,mosquitoes
- Woe to him that is alone
- No weal without woe
- Loyalty shines out in time of woe.