( )1. What _____ your grandfather _____ this time yesterday ?
A. is ... doing B. was ... doing C. did .. do D. had ... done
( )2. ____ you ______ a meeting at four yesterday afternoon ?
A. Were ... having B. Was ... having C. Did ... have D. Do ... have
( )3. A: I called you at about half past eight last night , but nobody answered .
B: Oh , I ______ in my office at that time .
A. will work B. was working C. worked D. had worked
( )4. His family _____ TV from ten to twelve last night .
A. watched B. were watching C. had watched D. was watching
( )5. Li Lei ______ a letter to his friend last night .
A. was writing B. was written C. will write D. writes
( )6. A: Hi , Lin Tao . I didn’t see you at the party .
B: Oh, I ________ ready for the maths exam .
A. am getting B. was getting C. got D. have got
( )7. A: I called you yesterday evening ,but there was no answer.
B: Oh ,I am sorry I dinner at my friend’s home.
A．have B．had C．was having D．have had
( )8. A: Did you notice him come in?
B: No. I _____ a football game.
A. have watched B. had watched C. am watching D. was watching
( )9. You must tell us what you _______ at ten yesterday evening .
A. did B. was doing C. were done D. were doing
( )10. He asked _______ outside .
A. who are singing B. who was singing
C. who singing was D. who is singing
( )11. A: How did the accident happen ?
B: You know , it ______ difficult to see the road clearly because it _____ .
A. was …. was raining B. is … has rained
C. is … is raining D. will be … will rain
( )12. She_________ apples in her garden when I_________ to see her yesterday.
A. picked，went B. was picking， went
C. picked，was going D. was picking，was going
( )13. She _____ the room when I went to see her .
A. doesn’t clean B. isn’t cleaning C. didn’t cleaning D. wasn’t cleaning
( )14. The Reads _______ lunch when I got to their house .
A . were having B. was having C. are having D. is having
( )15. I ____ an old friend of mine when I ______ in the street yesterday afternoon .
A. met... was walking B. was meeting ... walked
C. was meeting ... was walking D. met ... walked
( )16. One day when I _______ the post office , I _____ my uncle .
A. pass... say B. was passing ... saw
C. passed ... was seeing D. am passing ... am seeing
( )17. The student ______ to move the bag of rice _______ he heard the sound of a motorbike .
A. was running... when B. was running ... while
C. runs ... when D. ran ... while
( )18. Mark ________ while he ________ up and down.
A. falls...is jumping B. fell...was jumping
C. was falling...was jumping D. felt...was jumping
( )19. While she ______ TV in the sitting room , the bell ______ .
A. watches … rings B. is watching … rang
C. was watching … rang D. watched … was ringing
( )20. The little girl was ______ her cat while her mother was _____ the piano .
A. playing … playing B. playing … playing with
C. playing with …playing D. playing with …playing with
1. I , with my sister , sometimes ______ swimming in the river. (go)
2. He __________ the film with us last night. (not see)
3. You draw quite well. I think you _______ a good painter in the future. (be)
4. One Sunday morning the man upstairs heard the sound of children ________ in the park. (play)
5. Mother __________ vegetables in the garden now. (grow)
6. My father ______________ some washing when I got home yesterday evening. (do)
7. Somebody knocked on my window when I __________ TV last night. (watch)
8. Grandma ___________ breakfast while I was doing my homework this morning. (cook)
9. The man downstairs found it very difficult ____________ and he was very angry with the woman upstairs. (sleep)
10. Do you know an English girl ________ Jenny ? (call)
1. I ______ cooked a meal when you _____ me.
a. cooked, were ringing b. was cooking, rang
c. was cooking, were ringing d. cooked, rang
2. He said he _____ to draw a plane on the blackboard at that time.
a. tries b. tried c. was trying d. will try
3. While she ______ TV, she ______ a sound outside the room.
a. was watching, was hearing b. watched, was hearing
c. watched, heard d. was watching, heard
4. They _____ a football game from 7 to 9 last night.
a. were watching b. watch c. watched d. are watching
5. What book ____ you ______ when I ____ you at four yesterday afternoon?
a. did, read, was seeing b. did, read, saw
c. were, reading, saw d. were, reading, was seeing
6. It was Friday evening. Mr and Mrs. Green _____ ready to fly to England.
a. are getting b. get c. were getting d. got
7. Lei Feng _____ always _____ of others when he ______ in the army.
a. is, thinking, was b. was, thinking, is c. did, think, is d. was, thinking, was
8. A girl ______ my pen fall off the table when she _____ me.
a. saw, passed b. was seeing, passed c. was seeing, passed d. was seeing, was passing
9. We ____ for tom at ten last Sunday. He often kept us ______.
a. were waiting, waiting b. were waiting, wait c. waited, waiting d. waited, wait
10. He ____ his father on the farm the whole afternoon last Saturday.
a. helps b. would help c. was helping d. is helping
11. While mother _______ some washing, I _____ a kite for Kate.
a. did, made b. was doing, made c. was doing, was making d. did, was making
12. “_______ you angry then?” “they ______ too much noise.”
a. are, were making b. were, were making c. are, made d. were, made
13. He ____ some cooking at that time, so _____ me
a. did, heard b. did, didn’t hear c. was doing, heard d. was doing, didn’t hear
14. This time yesterday jack _____ his bike. He _____ TV
a. repaired, didn’t watch b. was repairing, watched
c. repaired, watched d. was repairing, wasn’t watching
15. His parents wanted to know how he _____ on with his new classmates.
a. was getting b. gets c. is getting d. will get