新版新视野大学英语读写教程第四册答案unit 3-unit 4
1. raw 2. convicted 3. compensation 4. notify 5. provisions
6. receipt 7. paste 8. altered 9. thrive 10. certify
Exercises on Web course only:
11. donation 12. roast 13. rent 14. champion 15. temptation
1. up 2. to 3. down 4. of 5. out
6. into 7. for 8. on 9. through 10. of
1. M 2. E 3. G 4. A 5. H 6. C 7.1 8. K 9.0 10. D
1. respect 2. degree 3. money 4. living 5. praise
6. place 7. success 8. scholarship 9. job 10. reputation
1. longish 2. animal-like 3. selfish 4. honey-like
5. ball-like 6. boyish 7. yellowish 8. bookish
1. politicians 2. technician 3. comedian 4. musicians
5. physicians 6. electricians 7. beautician 8. magician
1. The wanted man is believed to be living in New York.
2. Many people are said to be homeless after the floods.
3. Three men are said to have been arrested after the explosion.
4. The prisoner is thought to have escaped by climbing over the wall.
5. Four people are reported to have been seriously injured in the
1. He tried sending her flowers, but it didn't have any effect.
2. I don't regret telling her what I thought, even if I upset her.
3. The window was broken because I forgot to close it when I left.
4. We regret to inform you that the materials you ordered are out of
5. He welcomed the new student and then went on to explain the college
1. Seven or eight officials are reported to have taken bribes and the
mayor has decided to look into the
affair in person.
2. These workers regret yielding to the management's advice and going
back to work. Now they are
again faced with the threat of losing their jobs.
3. You only need to fill out a form to get your membership, which
entitles you to a discount on goods.
4. Their car broke down halfway for no reason. As a result they
arrived three hours later than they had
5. The official got involved in a scandal and was forced to resign
6. The man living on welfare began to build up his own market, one
step at a time and his business is
1 ．B 2. C 3. A 4. D 5．B 6. A 7. D 8. C 9. A 10. B
11 ．D 12.A 13.C 14.B 15．D 16.B 17.C 18.A 19:D 20.B
It is difficult to get a welfare client’s wheelchair repaired．Once
my wheelchair needed repairing，
and I notified my caseworker. She gave me a lecture that I hadn’t
taken good care of my wheelchair.
Then she told me that I must have the patience to wait until she had
the time to report my wheelchair
conditions to my medical worker. Then the medical worker called the
wheelchair repair companies
to get the cheapest bid and informed the main welfare office at the
state capital．It took them another
several days to consider the matter. When they finally got my
wheelchair repaired，I had been confined
to bed for more than half a month．
1. "The stacks of paper" is being personified as someone who can bear
witness to something.
2. "Western ears" symbolize people from Western countries.
3. "A gallery of human faces" symbolizes a gathering of people of
4. As we know a portrait does not have life. It is in a figurative way
to say "a living portrait".
5. The word "like" tells us that this part is a simile, comparing hats
to small crowns.
6. "Two tiny birds" are clearly a metaphor for the girl's two small
hands, showing that it was with
loving care that the blind man held the girl's hands.
Comprehension of the Text
1. The stacks of paper bore witness to a huge amount of work waiting
to be done, even though I had
been working seven days a week.
2. I remember feeling annoyed at this dense collection of humanity.
3. Then the truth struck me. He was blind.
4. As we waited for our drinks, the blind man said, "The music seems
out of tune to our Western ears,
but it has charm."
5. They are motionless, waiting for the performance to start.
6. The first performance ended just as we finished dessert, and I
excused myself and went to talk to
the theater manager.
7. A few minutes later he was standing next to one of the dancers, her
little crowned head hardly
reaching his chest.
8. About a week after our trip, the chairman told me the Chinese
executive had called to express great
satisfaction with the trip.
1. skimmed 2. steer 3. chartered 4. angle 5. veil
6. magic 7. realm 8. annoy 9. dense 10. highlighted
1. Many of these poems bear witness to his years spent in India, England, and China.
2. The other players in the team are better than me, but I'm slowly catching up.
3. 1 was loaded with many parcels, unable to walk any faster.
4. The place was deserted and there was no sign of human beings living there.
5. These instruments should be switched on and checked before we start our work.
6. My friend was dressed in a black coat whereas I was in jeans.
7. All those connected with the mission were in prayer for her, but her life was not spared.
8. May I excuse myself for a while, Mr. Davis?
9. Have you ever noticed that at yesterday's concert one of the violinists was out of tune?
10. All too soon it was over and we left feeling we had just skimmed the surface of this fascinating