Successful people understand that their success starts and ends with their own mental and physical health, and that it’s almost entirely dependent upon them getting enough sleep. That’s why bedtime routines are a key ritual for so many of them – and why the very last thing most successful people do before bed is read.
Here are nine things successful people do before retiring for the night:
1. Read. Experts agree that reading is the very last thing most successful people do before going to sleep. Numerous business leaders block off time just before bed for reading, going so far as to schedule it as a “non-negotiable item” on their calendar. This isn’t necessarily reserved just for business reading or inspirational reading. Many successful people find value in being browsers of information from a variety of sources, believing it helps fuel greater creativity and passion in their lives.
. Many successful people use the 10 minutes before bed to meditate. Dale Kurow, a New York-based executive
coach, says it’s a great way to relax your body and quiet your mind.
3. Reflect on the day. many successful people take the time just before bed to reflect on, or to write down, three things they are appreciative of that happened that day. Keeping a ‘gratitude journal’ also reminds people of the progress they made that day in any aspect of their life, which in turn serves as a key way to stay motivated, especially when going through a challenging period.
4. Make your to-do list. Clearing the mind for a good night sleep is critical for a lot of successful people. Often they will take this time to write down a list of any unattended items to address the following day, so these thoughts don’t end up invading their head space during the night.
5. Disconnect from work
. Truly successful people do anything but work right before bed. They don’t obsessively
check their email, and they try not to dwell on work-related issues. Give yourself a buffer period between the time you read your last email and the time you go to bed. The idea is to get your head out of work before you lie down to go to sleep.
6. Spend time with family. It’s important to make some time to chat with your partner, talk to your kids, or play with your dog. This is a common practice among the highly successful.
7. Plan out sleep
. Much has been written around the dangers busy people face running chronic
sleep deficits, so one habit several highly successful people do is to simply make it a priority to get enough sleep — which can be a challenge for workaholics
or entrepreneurs. One way to do that is to go to bed at a consistent time each evening, which is a key habit all sleep experts recommend to help ensure a healthy night’s sleep.
8. Lie down on a positive note
. It’s easy to fall into the trap of replaying negative situations from the day that you wish you’d handled differently. Regardless of how badly the day went, successful people typically manage to avoid that pessimistic
spiral of negative self-talk because they know it will only create more stress. Remember to take some time to reflect on the positive moments of the day and celebrate the successes, even if they were few and far between.
9. Picture tomorrow's success
. “Many successful people take a few minutes before bed to envision
a positive outcome unfolding for the projects they're working on,” says Lynn Taylor, a national workplace expert “For most, this is not a task or exercise; they're wired with a gift of solid resolution skills that come naturally.”