Indoors

Holy windchill, Batman. You don't need us to tell you that it's cold out there -- gusts of wind down to 50 below will do that just fine. Temperatures are breaking records on the lowest end of the thermometer all across the Southern and Eastern parts of the country today, and things probably won't warm up until later this week.
近日极寒天气袭击美国,寒风效应导致部分地区最低温度可达零下50度,寒冷程度可想而知。美国全国南部和东部地区气温今日屡刷新低,直到本周后期才有望回暖。

But extreme cold like this has also taught us a few things -- boiling water, for example, turns to snow when it meets -41.8 Fahrenheit Ontario air. It got us thinking about what happens when other everyday things meet Siberian temperatures, so we decided to investigate.
但极寒天气也让我们看到一些别致的景观,如沸水在遇到安大略省华氏零下41.8度的冷空气时立即变成冰雪。我们不禁好奇,其他日常生活中的事物在遇到西伯利亚冷空气的时候会发生什么,于是我们做了个调查。

Not all of these photos are from this year (this week is, after all, not the first time it's been miserably cold!) but they're all a reminder that it can get pretty frigid during winter.
本文中并非所有图片都是今年拍摄(毕竟本周的极寒天气并非史上第一次!),但是它们都会提醒你冬天真的会很冷。

Toilet

Seriously, not even your toilet is safe from extreme cold.
说真的,即使你家的马桶也抵挡不住极寒天气的威力。

Bubbles

Bubbles don't seem to like it very much.
泡泡似乎不喜欢严寒天气。

Flowers

Even flowers in Texas can freeze.
连德克萨斯的花都能结冰。

Squirrel

This squirrel probably regrets a few of its life decisions.
这只松鼠很可能后悔自己决定安家在这里。

Second Car Window

But apparently nature can freeze you a second window for your car.
但很显然,大自然可以为你的汽车创造另一层冰冻车窗。

Tyre

And it doesn't look like winter is especially kind to cars.
看上去冬天对汽车并没有很友善。

Bottles of Water

And regular bottles of water are almost instantly turning to ice.
普通的瓶装水几乎马上就会结冰。

Boiling Water Trick

If you're bored, though, try that boiling water trick.
然而如果你感觉无聊,可以试试寒冬中沸水的奇效。

Have Fun

We've got to have fun out there somehow.
不管怎样,极寒天气我们得出去玩玩。