1. ____ a fine day, we decided to go for a picnic.
A. Having been B. Being C. What D. It being
2. He came to know that the knowledge from books can be useful only ______ it is linked with practice.
A. as B. when C. while D. for
3. ____, it is quite easy to drill a hole in it with laser.
A. Hard although a diamond is B. As a diamond is hardC. Hard as a diamond is D. How hard is a diamond
4. Silk, printing, paper, the compass and powder originated in China, and ____ introduction in the west had far reaching effects.
A. these B. their C. those D. its
5. The problem is believed ____ at the meeting two days ago.
A. to have discussed B. to have been discussed C. being discussed D. having been discussed
6. Ultrasonic sounds produce pulsed signals ____ various defects in metal can be detected.
A. for which B. of which C. as a result of which D. by means of which
7. In computer programming, this model is ____ to any of the others we have ever had.
A. more superior B. the more superior C. the most superior D. superior
8. The introduction of the coal pulverizing system in Daya Bay Nuclear Power Plant vastly reduces the time it took ____
A. to mill the coal B. milling the coal C. for milling the coal D. while milling the coal
9. Some members suggested ____ a party for the visitor, but the Chairman didn’t approve
A. to arrange B. arrange C. arranging D. to be arranging
10. If the maid comes today, please have her ____ my shirts.
A. washed B. washing C. to wash D. wash
11. ____ racial problems have not been solved and full equality has not been attained yet, progress in these directions has been quite remarkable.
A. Since B. Although C. Now that D. Before
12. ____ they are alarmed at the interference with the natural balance of the environment, and its possible consequences.
A. All in all B. After all C. Above all D. In all
13. Rumor ____ it that the man has been nominated many times for the Nobel Prize.
A. has B. spreads C. carries D. learns
14. Just because I’m ____ to him, my boss thinks he can order me around without giving me any respect.
A. redundant B. versatile C. trivial D. subordinate
15. In our society, a wedding invitation is also an ____invitation for a gift.
A.ingenious B. intelligible C. implicit D. inclusive
16. The strong scent of Kate’s perfume ____ the air in the small room.
A. radiated B. permeated C. extracted D. dispersed
17. An atom bomb would ____ a city.
A. destroy B. damage C. spoil D. wreck
18. The climate here is pleasant. It is ____ all the year round.
A. damp B. humid C. moist D. wet
19. The room is partly ____ with a few old chairs.
A. provided B. decorated C. beautified D. furnished
20. If Karl were more ____ about her voice, she would never sing outside of the shower.
A. punctual B. practical C. sensitive D. objective
21. Renewing my driver’s licence today is ____. Otherwise, the licence will expire at midnight.
A. imaginative B. feasible C. imperative D. empirical
22. For those with poor eyesight, large print ____ reading.
A. facilitates B. rectifies C. reinforces D. magnifies
23. Nancy complained about the ____ air conditioner she bought from the department store.
A. inefficient B. deficient C. ineffective D. defective
24. ____ the large amount of time devoted to listening every day, most college students do not listen effectively.
A. However B. If C. Despite D. Even
25. If we continue to argue over minor points, we won’t get ____near a solution.
A. anywhere B. somewhere C. elsewhere D. nowhere