1. Evidence came up ____ specific sounds are recognized by babies as young as six months old.
A. what B. that C. which D. whose
2. I understand ____ preparation that staff must put in under pressure to meet the deadline.
A. more than the enormous amount of
B. better than most the enormous number of
C. better than most the enormous amount of
D. fewer than the number of
3. I’m sure your suggestion will ____ the problem.
A. contribute to solving B. be contributed to solve
C. contribute to solve D. be contributed to solving
4. In 1840, both Lucretian Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton resented ______ proper seating at the World’s Anti slavery convention in London because of their sex.
A. refusing B. to be refused C. being refused D. having refused
5. America will never again have as a nation the spirit of adventure as it _____ before the West was settled.
A. could B. did C.would D. was
6. You should have put the milk into the ice box, I expect it ____undrinkable.
A. became B.had become
C. has become D. becomes
7. It’s no good ____ him. He is always indifferent towards others’ matters.
A. to turn to B. turning to C. turn to D. turned to
8. Some companies have introduced flexible working time with less emphasis on pressure ____
A. than more on efficiency B. and more on efficiency
C. and more efficiency D. than efficiency
9. She always put her medication on the top of the shelf lest the children ____ it by mistake.
A. took B. should take C. had taken D. would take
10. The earnings of women are well below that of men ____educational differences that are diminishing between the two sexes.
A. although B. though C. despite of D. in spite of
11. Many automobile accidents were ____ careless driving.
A. attributed to B. resulted in C. contributed to D. raised from
12. The actress wanted a hat to ____ her dress.
A. go by B. go through C. go out D. go with
13. It takes a lot of____ to put on a school play such as King Lear.
A. organization B. arrangement C. management D. preparation
14. The police carried out a(n)____ search for the mising boy.
A. complete B. entire C. thorough D. whole
15. The ____ crown jewels are kept in the Tower of London.
A. valued B. valueless C. invaluable D. usable
16. Tom has been a vegetarian ____ principle for years.
A. in B.on C. for D. by
17. When I got out of the car and walked about among them, ____one old man who shook his head disapprovingly, they all began to cheer.
A. see that B. except that C.provided that D. except for
18. ____ the water left in the kettle, the doctor put several things he unwrapped from a handkerchief.
A. At B.To C. Within D. Into
19. I am ____ grateful for the many kindnesses you have shown my son.
A. excessively B. much C. certainly D. exceedingly
20. The ____ of AIDS has led to an expansion in research seeking a cure.
A. innovation B. selection C. proliferation D. conviction
21. I am sorry I have no time at present to ____ more detail or give you an account of other cities of interest.
A. bring into B. take into C. come into D. go into
22. When the idea of winning in sports is carried to excess, ____competition can turn into disorder and violence.
A. honestly B. honest C. honorable D. honorary
23. Unless all the members agree to____ to the plan there may be further development in the course of action.
A. tumble B. stick C. come D. adjust
24. You must pay import ____ on certain goods brought into this country.
A. money B. fees C. bills D. duties
25. We expect Mr. White will ____ Class One when Miss Jane retires.
A. take over B. take up C. take off D. take to