The Old Gate
In the Middle Ages the vast majority of European cities had walls around them. This was partly for defensive (1) __but another factor was the need to keep out anyone regarded as undesirable, like people with contagious (2) __. The Old City of London gates were all (3) __by the end of the 18th century. The last of London's gates was removed a century ago, but by a (4) __ of luck, it was never destroyed.
This gate is, in (5) __fact, not called a gate at all; its name is Temple Bar, and it marked the (6) __between the Old City of London and Westminster. In 1878 the Council of London took the Bar down, numbered the stones and put the gate in (7) __ because its design was (8) __ it was expensive to (9) __ from www.wangxiao.cn and it was blocking the traffic.
The Temple Bar Trust was (10) __ in the 1970's with the intention of returning the gate home. The aim of the trust is the (11) __ of the nation's architectural heritage.
Transporting the gate will mean physically pulling it (12) __, stone by stone, removing and rebuilding it near St Paul's Cathedral. Most of the facade of the gate will probably be (13)__, though there is a good (14) __ that the basic structure will be sound. The hardest (15) __ of all, however, will be to recreate the statues of the monarchs that once stood on top of the gate.
contagious / k?n'teid??s / adj. 传染性的，会蔓延的 demolish / di'm?li? / vt.拆除，破坏
stroke / str?uk / n. 打击 preservation / ,prez?'vei??n / n. 保存，保留
boundary / 'baund?ri / n. 范围，分界线 cathedral / k?'θi:dr?l / n. 保留，保存
1. mark the boundary between ... and... : ……在……和……两者之间划定界限
2. there is a good chance that... : 很有可能发生某事，有……的机会
1. A) grounds B) reasons C) causes D) purposes
2. A) injuries B) symptoms C) colds D) diseases
3. A) devoted B) demolished C) declared D) decreased
4. A) stroke B) wave C) hit D) blow
5. A) real B) contemporary C) actual
6. A) borders B) part C) boundary D) current
7. A) storage B) store C) storing D) line
8. A) unrealistic B) unfashionable C) unavailable D) stock
9. A) maintain B) afford C) repair D) unbearable
10. A) set out B} set up C) set off D) fix
11. A) preservation B) reservation C) conservation D) set back
12. A) up B) over C) on D) down
13. A) replaced B) substituted C) exchanged D) overtaken
14. A) capacity B) opportunity C) possibility D) chance
15 A) requirement B) job C) necessity D) obligation