Nasreddin was a poor man, so he tried to grow __1__ he could in his own garden, so that he would not have to buy so many in the market.
One evening he heard a noise in his garden and looked out of the window. A white ox had got into the garden and __2__ his vegetables. Nasreddin at once took his stick, ran out and chased the ox, but he was too old to catch it. When he got back to his garden, he found that the ox had ruined most of his precious vegetables.
__3__, while he __4__ in the street near his house, he saw a cart with two white oxen which looked very much like the one that __5__ his vegetables. He was carrying his stick with him, __6__ he at once began to beat the two oxen with it. As neither of them looked more like the ox that had eaten his vegetables than the other, he beat both of them equally hard.
The owner of the ox and cart was drinking coffee in a __7__ coffee-house. When he saw __8__ Nasreddin was doing __9__ his animals, he ran out and shouted, “What are you doing? What have those poor animals done to you for you to beat them like that?”
“You keep out this!” Nasreddin shouted back, “This is a matter between me and one of these two oxen. He knows very well __10__ I am beating him!”
1. A. so many vegetables B. many vegetables C. as many as vegetables D. as many vegetables as
2. A. was eating B. ate C. had eaten D. has eaten
3. A. Next day B. Next morning C. Last morning D. The next morning
4. A. walks B. waked C. was walking D. walking
5. A. ruined B. had eaten C. ate D. had ruin
6. A. so B. and C. but D. or
7. A. beside B. nearby C. near D. near by
8. A. that B. which C. why D. what
9. A. for B. to C. with D. on
10.A. reason B. when C. why D. because
1.D.习惯用语as many as possible 意为“尽可能多的”合乎文意，为正确选项。
2.A.过去进行时强调过去正在进行的动作，根据文意Nasreddin看到牛正在吃蔬菜，故选 was eating .
3.D.指过去某一天的第一天或第二天早上、晚上，应用the next day/morning/evening. 故应选The next morning .
4.C.在从句动作进行的过程中，主句动作发生了，这时从句常用进行时态，故选择was walking .
9.B.do sth. to sb.结构中to后面常接动作的对象。
10.C.牛主人问及Nasreddin打牛的原因，这里需要一个引导词引导 knew的宾语从句，且在从句中作状语，根据上文可知这里应填 why.