1. Circus tigers, although they have been tamed, can _____ attack their trainer.
A. unexpectedly B. deliberately
C. reluctantly D. subsequently
He unexpectedly failed to get the job.(他出乎意料没有得到这件工作。)
又如：We met each other unexpectedly. (我们不期而遇。)
I believe the house was deliberately set fire to.(我相信这房子是有人故意放火烧的。)
She agreed, very reluctantly, to help. (她十分不情愿地同意帮忙。)
He escaped from prison but was subsequently recaptured. (他越狱逃跑了，但后来又被抓回来。)
2. Stressful environments lead to unhealthy behaviors such as poor eating habits, which _____ increase the risk of heart disease.
A. in turn B. in return C. by chance D. by turns
[答案]A. in turn.
[注释]in turn (插入语)转而，依次，而又：
We need revision of estimated sales and this, in turn , will mean revision in production schedule. (我们必须修改预计销量，而这反过来又意为着修订生产计划。)
in return 作为报答：
I wish I could do something for you in return. (我要是能为你做点事作为回报就好了。)
I gave him a present but he gave me nothing in return.（我送给他一份礼物，可他却什么也不给我作为答谢。）
by chance (=by accident)偶然地；无意中：
I meet him by chance on Fifth Avenue.(我偶然在第5大街上遇到他。)
by turns 轮流地，依次：
There were twelve of us in the boat and we rowed by turns.(船上有12人，我们轮流划船。)
3. The patients believe that the doctor knows exactly how to put them _____.
A. correct B. perfect C. right D. well
[注释]put sth. /sb. right 纠正；治好，使恢复健康：
Since man has done so much damage, it is up to man to put the matters right. (既然人类已造成了如此巨大的损害，人类就必须纠正这种状况。)
又如：This medicine will soon put you right. (这药很快会使你恢复健康。)其他3个选择均不能与put 构成习语，故不能入选。
4. They decided to leave the waiter a big _____ because the food and service had been excellent.
A. note B. reward C. tip D. gift
5. And you find that you're not to be _____ with a position of real responsibility.
A. offered B. trusted C. furnished D. retained
[注释]trust sb. with sth. 把某事托付给某人：
I can't trust him with my car.(我不能把我的车托付给他。)
6. There was a good _____ of the countryside from the front of the bus.
A. sight B. view C. scene D. scenery
It is a large room with a view of the doctor's well-kept garden. (这是一间大房间，从房间里能看到医生精心管理的花园。)
7. In aerospace devices the weight of the necessary power producing equipment is _____.
A. vital B. possible C. capable D. reliable
8. This album is _____ as it was the only one ever signed by the President.
A. unusual B. unique C. rare D. special
[注释]unique(某一类中)独一无二的。如选unusual(不寻常的，独特的)，虽然也说得过去，但毫无疑问，unique是最佳选择，因为它的后面the only one相呼应。
They went to London on a special train.[他们搭一班专车（或加班车）去伦敦。]
9. Trains stop here in order to _____ passengers only.
A. get off B. pick up C. pull up D. pull in
[答案]B. pick up
[注释]pick up passages(接运旅客上车。)
pull in(火车)进站；（船）靠岸；pull up停车；get off下车。
10. He _____ the place where he had been bitten by an insect.
A. snatched B. scratched C. squeezed D. stretched
[注释]scratch抓，搔。此外，有一常用习语：scratch one's head over sth.对某事迷惑不解，搔头皮。