1. The government has lost a great deal of _____ because of the large increase in food prices.
A. strength B. support C. agreement D. vote
[注释]lose support失去支持。vote作为“选票”解时，是可数名称，所以不能与a great deal of搭配。
2. The branches could hardly _____ the weight of the fruit.
A. retain B. maintain C. sustain D. remain
[注释]sustain(=hold up the weight of)承住，支撑：An old wall cannot sustain a new building.
3. He thought this was the first pair of shoes that had fitted him _____.
A. perfectly B. justly C. fairly D. rightly
[注释]perfectly(=quite well, completely)十分，完全地。
4. I feel sure that _____ qualification, ability and experience, you are abundantly suited to the position we have in mind.
A. in case of B. in terms of
C. in the opinion of D. in the course of
[答案]B. in terms of.
[注释]in terms of依据，按照。
In case of万一……；
in the opinion of按照……的看法；
in the course of在……的过程中，在……期间。以上4个习语均为大纲规定之列，考生应熟记、活用。Have...in mind心中想到。
5. So far as he could, John had always tried to _____ the example he saw in Lincoln.
A. live up to B. set forth C. call for D. cut out
[答案]A. live up to.
[注释]live up to不辜负，作到；set forth阐明，提出，列举； cut out删去； call for需要，要求
6. It would be _____ a risk to let the child go to school by himself.
A. following B. passing C. running D. carrying
[注释]run(take) a risk 冒风险：
You are running a big risk in trusting him.(你信任他是冒极大的风险。)
7. Children who are over-protected by their parents may become _____.
A. hurt B. spoiled C. damaged D. harmed
[注释]spoil(=make a child selfish from having too much attention or praise)宠坏，惯坏；
Spare the rod, spoil the child.(省下了棍子，惯坏了孩子。)这是英国谚语，意为“棒头上出孝子”。
8. Paper making began in China and from there it _____ to North Africa and Europe.
A. sprang B. spilled C. carried D. spread
[注释]spread vt./vi. 此处意指“传播”，如：
1)The news spread quickly.
2)Files spread disease.(苍蝇传播疾病。)
He carried the news to everyone in the village. 当carry vt. 在本句中与句子的语法结构不符。
His voice carries far. (他的声音能传得很远。)
9. When the entire class worked together they finished the project _____.
A. in no way B. in no time
C. on no account D. in no case
[答案]B. in no time.
[注释]in no time (=in a very little time, soon, quickly)立即，马上：
The bus filled with students in no time. (这辆公共汽车很快就被学生挤满了。)
10. The _____ of his clothes indicated too clearly that he had been playing football.
A. state B. condition C. occasion D. situation
[注释]state n. 状况，状态。例如：
She is in a poor state of health.
He was in a hopeless situation.
Economic conditions were bad.