Choice of Words 词汇的选择
English words are characteristic
and polysemous words often share more than one part of speech, which takes time to determine the fixed meaning and its given part of speech in the certain context, and even more time to makes final decision of the Chinese equivalence
to the original word.
After the through analysis of the original syntax
and the general idea of the original text, choice of words becomes the determining factor to a good translation.
• The word "and" seems easy enough, the actual practice, however, is very different from what as one might imagine.
1. War and Peace
2. eat and drink
4. The girls came over talking and laughing.
5. She is the Party Secretary and manager as well.
6. It was not easy to carry such a heavy load, and during the dog days.
8. The sun came out and the grass dried.
9. Reading the text many times and you will be able to recite it.
10. He came here by bike and I walked here.
11. He did it, and did it well.
12. They talked and talked until small hours.
13. many and many a time
14. They walked two and two.
15. There are men and men (books and books).
To have every word well expressed in Chinese, one must acquaint
himself with rhetoric
, especially the passive rhetoric whose essential work is to have words well-chosen which is just in agreement with the key link of expression in translation. Whether a word is well-chosen affects greatly the accuracy of expression. For example:
letters are to be trusted no more nor less than churchyard epitaphs
, yet as it sometimes happens that a person departs this life, who is really deserving of all the praises the stone-cutter carves over his bones; who is a good Christian, a good parent, child, wife or husband; who actually does leave a disconsolate
family to mourn his less; so in academies of the male and female sex it occurs every now and then, that the pupil is fully worthy of the praises bestowed
by the disinterested