1. _____ inviting guests and not treating them properly!
A. Strangely B. Fantastically
C. Surprisingly D. Fancy
[注释]fancy doing 没想到.......竟然：
1)Fancy your him!(没想到你竟然认识他！)
2)Fancy spending the day in here!(没想到竟在这里过了一天！)
2. With sufficient scientific information a manned trip to Mars should be _____.
A. obtainable B. potential C. considerable D. feasible
[注释]feasible(=that can be done)可行的，可做到的：
1)Your plan sounds quite feasible.(你的计划听起来很可行。)
2)It's not feasible to make the trip in one day.(一天内要进行这次旅行是做不到的。)
3. The generation _____ makes it difficult for parents to understand their children's opinions.
A. division B. gap C. separation D. interval
[注释]generation gap 代沟。
division分，划分；separation分开；interval间隔，间隙；（幕间或工间）休息。at intervals 不时，时时
4. If the boy had _____ the dog alone it wouldn't have bitten him.
A. set B. left C. had D. put
[注释]leave sb./sth. alone不惹，不管，不碰：Leave the box alone.(别碰那个盒子。)
5. They were so far away that I couldn't _____ their faces clearly.
A. see through B. make up C. see off D. make out
[答案]D. make out.
[注释]make out(=identify and see with effort or difficulty)辨认出。
see through此处see through还可表示“看穿......(=understand the real meaning of or reason for; realize the falseness of)”：
1)The teacher saw through the boy's story of having to help at home. (=The teacher knew his story was not true; it was just an excuse.)
2) He can't fool her. She sees him through every time.
1)编造：John made up the joke about the talking dog.
2)弥补：Bob must make up the work he missed.
3)凑足： We need one more to make up the dozen.
4)化装： The actors were making up when we arrived.
5)构成：Nine players make up a team.
6. Achieving a high degree of proficiency in English as a foreign language is not a mysterious _____ without scientific basis.
A. process B. practice C. procedure D. program
[注释]process(=connected series of actions, or series of operations) 过程：
By what process is cloth made form wool?(经过什么过程羊毛织成呢料？)
practice(=the doing of something of, performance or repeated exercise, etc.)实习，练习；开业:
She is doing her practice at the piano.(她在练习弹钢琴。)
procedure(=the regular order of doing things)程序：
the usual procedure at a meeting(开会的通常程序)。
Program(=plan of what is to be done or list of items or events)课程，计划，大纲：
What is the program for tomorrow ?(明天上什么课?)
7. I must go now. _____, if you want that book I'll bring it next time.
A. Incidentally B. Accidentally
C. Occasionally D. Subsequently
[注释]incidentally(=by the way)附带地，顺便：
Fred said, incidentally, that he had no dinner.(顺便提一下，福来德那时说，他还没吃晚饭。)
I met with an old friend of mine accidentally last week.(上星期我偶然碰到一位老朋友。)
occasionally (=from time to time, not regularly)不时地，偶尔：
We get visitors here occasionally.(我们偶尔在此接游客。)
subsequently(=afterwards, later) 随后：
At first we thought we would go; but subsequently we learned we were needed at home.(起初,我们想离开；但随后我们得知家里需要我们。)
8. A completely new situation is likely to _____ when the school leaving age is raised to 16.
A. arouse B. rise C. arise D. abide
[注释]arise(=come into being, appear, happen)产生，发生：Difficulties will arise as we do the work.(我们做这项工作时将会发生困难。)
arouse 唤起，激起，唤醒；rise 上升;abide (by)遵守。
9. The illness from which Mary is suffering has now been _____ as hepatitis (肝炎).
A. diagnosed B. determined C. deduced D. discovered
10. These continual _____ in temperature make it impossible to decide what to wear.
A. alterations B. vibrations C. waves D. fluctuations