看生活大爆炸学英语第三季第十七集

【剧情介绍】四宅男在一箱二手货里发现了"指环王"里的至尊戒,四人在如何处置这枚戒指的问题上产生极大分歧,互不相让。Sheldon想占为己有,Raj想卖了它买摩托艇,Leonard表面上想还给戒指主人其实也想占为己有,一场兄弟“厮杀”由此展开...

1. In our ragtag band of scientists with nothing to lose, I'm the smart one, Wolowitz is the funny one, and Koothrappali is the lovable foreigner who struggles to understand our ways and fails. That leaves you, by default, as the muscle.
在我们这群一无所有的科学家群体里我聪明,Wolowitz搞笑,Koothrappali是可爱老外,很想要了解我们文化却屡屡失败,而你就默认为干体力活的。

by default默认,【体育】由于弃权而输掉;由于对方弃权而获胜;【法律】由于不到庭而败诉

2. No, it is not yours. We all went in on the box together.
才不是你的,买这箱东西时我们都出份子了。

Go in (金钱、时间等)用于…:His time goes in playing ball.他的时间都花在打球上了。

3. -I don't understand why in this group I never get my way.
我不明白在这个团体里为什么我总不能随心所欲。

-You always get your way.
你一直都是为所欲为。

4. Until we figure out what to do with the ring, Penny holds on to it.
在我们想出如何处理戒指前,戒指先由Penny保管

holds on to坚持,紧握,抓住不放,保留

5. I have a twin sister whose assaults began in utero. If only I'd had the presence of mind to reabsorb her, then I'd have a mole with hair in it instead of a tedious yearly Christmas letter.
我的双胞胎妹妹在子宫里就开始袭击我,要是当初我够沉着就把她给重吸收掉,那我脸上就会多颗毛痣,也不用每年都收到一封无聊的圣诞卡了。

presence of mind镇定,沉着

6. Look, we're big boys, why don't we just cut to the chase and meet in the middle?
大家都是成年人了就直截了当各退一步吧?

cut to the chase开门见山,切入正题。Meet in the middle 妥协,一人退半步。

7. Forget the Jet Skis? That was our line in the sand!
不要摩托艇?那可是我们的底线!

Line in the sand 底线

8. What can I say? They played hardball.
我还能说什么?他们来硬的。

Play hardball 采取强硬态度

9. That's not gonna get you anywhere. Better pull out the big gun.
这话是伤不到你的,还是出绝招吧。

pull out the big gun出绝招。