1. life expectancy 预期寿命，平均寿命
2. get out of hand 失控
3. be fed up with 感到厌烦；讨厌；对……感到厌烦；厌烦
sb. is unfamiliar with sth.
sth. is unfamiliar to sb.
5. come down with sth. 生病
6. boil down to sth. 归结为
7. frown on sth. 不悦；蹙眉不悦；对……不赞成；不赞成某事
8. do nothing but do 固定用法
9. in honor of sb./sth. 纪念某人/某事
10. There’s no point in doing sth. 做某事无意义
11. nothing but 只有；只不过 anything but 根本不；除…以外任何事
12. rarely, seldom, hardly, scarcely
People rarely ask questions.
She was seldom seen in public.
I hardly had time to ask her name.
We had scarcely arrived when he asked us to leave.
1. Advances in medicine have resulted in ________.
A. a longer living expectancy B. an increase in life expectancy
C. an increase in living D. more years for everyone
2. The fire department had to be summoned after the bush fire on the corner lot got out of ________.
A. turn B. the question C. hand D. sight
3. I am ________ your temper.
A. fed up by B. fed up with C. fed up because of D. fed up to
4. This kind of work is ________ me.
A. unfamiliar with B. unfamiliar by
C. unfamiliar to D. not familiar of
5. Jean ________ a cold when she was in Los Angeles.
A. came by B. came down with C. came into D. came off with
6. All the evidence I have collected ________ to the fact that he is a shop lifter.
A. boils up B. boils on C. boils off D. boils down
7. — Do you like those kinds of cigarette.
— ________ cigarette agrees with me.
A. Hardly no B. Nearly no C. Rarely no D. Almost none
8. — I am surprised that the administration approved of the protest.
— I am too. It usually frowns ________ such demonstration.
A. on B. with C. for D. to
9. — Does Jone have brown hair?
— Yes, in fact it's quite similar in shape ________ yours.
A. as B. with C. to D. like
10. — I thought you had planned to practice the piano today. — I did nothing but ________ letter all day.
A. write B. to write C. wrote D. writing
11. — I think John will win the race. — Yes, he started off ________ a great speed.
A. with B. at C. through D. by
12. Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, a town in the eastern part of the state, was named ________ one of the greatest American athletes.
A. in honor of B. the honors C. for honored D. to honoring
13. — Are you still trying to convince him? — No, there is no point ________ with him.
A. by arguing B. for arguing C. with arguing D. in arguing
15. — Can you ride a horse? — No, I never had the chance ________.
A. for learning it B. for learning how C. how to learn it D. to learn how
1.B 2.C 3.B 4.C 5.B 6.D 7.B 8.A 9.C 10.A 11.B 12.A 13.D 14.D 15.D