51. __ I love you, I should never consider marrying you.
D. Much as
52. I wish I hadn't been so busy this morning, otherwise I __ you with the cleaning.
A. will have helped
B. should help
C. could have helped
D. could help
53. I'd rather you __ make any comments on the issue for the time being.
54. Just as there are occupations that require college or even higher degrees, so too are there occupations __ technical training is necessary.
A. for which
B. in which
C. to which
D. at which
55. She sat on the bench in the park, her chin __ in her hand.
A. was cupped
D. to be cupped
56. I __ advise you not to do that again in the future.
57. The atmosphere is as much a part of the earth as __ its soil and the water of its lakes, rivers and oceans.
58. If negotiations for the new trade agreements take __, critical food shortages will develop in several countries.
A. too much longer
B. much long too
C. too many longer
D. much too long
59. Doing your homework is a sure way to improve your test scores, and this is especially true__ comes to classroom tests.
60. I recommend that the planning __ until all the materials have been supplied.
A. is not started
B. will not be started
C. not be started
D. is not to be started
61. Greatly agitated, I rushed to the apartment and tried the door, __ to find it locked.
62. When he arrived, he found ___ the aged and the sick at home.
A. none but
B. none other than
C. nothing but
D. no other than
63. As 4 to 8, ____ 8 is to 16.
64. According to some educators, the goal of teaching is to help students learn what __ to know to live a well-adjusted and successful life.
A. do they need
B. they need
C. they are needed
D. as they may need
65. If ever again ____ happens an accident like this, we will have only ourselves to blame.
66. An ambulance must have priority as it usually has to deal with some kind of __
67. She was complaining that the doctor was __ too much for the treatment he was giving her.
68. The patient's health failed to such an extent that he was put into __ care.
69. Although architecture has artistic qualities, it must also satisfy a number of important practical __
70. Too much __ to X-rays can cause skin burns, cancer or other damage to the body.
71. In his last years, Henry suffered from a disease that slowly __ him of much of his sight.
72. Plastics today contribute to a wide __ of industries.
73. Watching me pulling the calf awkwardly to the barn, the Irish milkmaid fought hard to __ her laughter.
A. hold back
B. hold on
C. hold out
D. hold up
74. If you get into a bath full of water, some of the water will __ onto the floor.
75. He did write a wonderful book, but it was just a __ in the pan.
76. The Beatles, the most famous British band of the 1960s, traveled worldwide for many years, __ cultural barriers.
77. The meeting was so prolonged and exhausting that __ the speakers stopped for refreshments.
A. at ease
B. at random
C. at intervals
D. at large
78. The relationship between employers and employees has been studied __
79. Johnson's news report covering the conference was so __ that nothing had been omitted.
80. The new edition of the encyclopedia __ many improvements, which is the result of the persistent effort of all the compilers.