1. There is no ___ in the world for her children.
A. love greater than a mother
B. love greater than that of a mother
C. love greater as a mother
D. great love as that of a mother
2. I didn't see her in the meeting-room this afternoon. She ___ at the meeting.
A. mustn't have spoken
B. shouldn't have spoken
C. needn't have spoken
D. couldn't have spoken
3. Pop music is such an important part of society ___ it has even influenced our language.
4. Just as the builder is skilled in the handling of his bricks, ___ the experienced writer is skilled in the handling of his words.
5. __ it may be, there is no place like home.
A. As humble
B. Though humble
C. Humble as
D. If humble
6. New ideas sometimes have to wait for years __ they are fully accepted.
7. Which of the following is INCORRECT?
A. Many a boy and many a girl have seen the film before.
B. He said he would go to Shanghai on business the next day.
C. I forgot to bring your umbrella with me.
D. His father has left his homeland for fifty years.
8. He must have lived a happy life a few years ago, ___ he?
9. What does "You cannot give him too much money" mean?
A. You shouldn't give him too much money.
B. The more money you give him, the better.
C. You can't give him a lot of money.
D. You ought to give him less money.
10. He never hesitates to make __ criticisms __ are considered helpful to others.
A. so... that
B. so... as
C. such.., that
D. such.., as
11. The followings are all correct responses to "Do you mind my smoking here?" EXCEPT
A. No, do it please.
B. No, of course not.
C. I'm sorry.
D. Yes, go ahead.
12. The reason why he has been such a success is ___ he never gives up.
13. One is not guilty until he __
A. has proved
B. has been proved
C. is proved
D. will be proved
14. Paper produced every year is four times __ the weight of the world's production of vehicles.
B. that of
15. If you are a member of a club, you must __ to the rules of that club.
16. I tried to relax because I knew I would use up my oxygen sooner, __
A. the more excited I got
B. I got excited more
C. and more I got excited
D. and I got more excited
17. The toy maker produces a __ copy of the space station, exact in every detail.
18. I should like to rent a house, modem, comfortable and __ in a quiet neighborhood.
A. all in all
B. above all
C. after all
D. over all
19. Some parents are only concerned __ their children's grades in studies.
20. This disease __ itself in yellowness of the skin and eyes.
21. Dr. Wang has made much contribution to the theories of modem physics at the __ of his health.
22. If I take this medicine three times a day, it should __ my cold.
23. Crisis would be the right term to describe the __ in many animal species.
24. Up until that time, his interest had focused almost__ on fully mastering the skills and techniques of his craft.
25. In the___ of human life the honors and rewards fall to those who show their good qualities in action.
26. On January 1st many people make a New Year
27. Bill assured his boss that he would __ all his energies in doing this new job.
A. call forth
B. call at
C. call on
D. call off
28. We had a __ lesson in ideological education yesterday and were deeply impressed.
29. Despite technical progress, some food production is still completely __ on weather.
30. His speech rambled for half an hour, but the___ of what he had said was that too many people has too little money.