5  O liver's life changes
5  奥利弗的生活变了

O liver was taken to the nearest police station. The officer at the gate looked at the boy. 'Another young thief, eh? 'He turned to the old gentleman, 'Are you the person who was robbed, sir? '
奥利弗被带进了最近的警察局。门口的一位警官盯着这孩子。“嗬!又是一个小贼?”他扭头向老先生问道,“先生,您就是被盗人吗?”

解析:near 近的(原型),nearer 更近的(比较级),nearest更近的(最高级
eg: I'll take you to the nearest police station.
我载你去最近的警察局。

'Yes, I am, 'replied the old gentleman, 'but I'm not sure that this boy actually took the hand kerchief. I don't really want to take him to court. '
“是我,”老先生回答,“但我不敢说他就是偷了我手帕的那个孩子。我并不真想把他带到法庭上来。”

'Too late. He must go before the magistrate now. '
“太晚了,他必须现在就去见治安推事。”

解析magistrate 治安推事;地方法官;文职官员
eg: The thief was brought before the magistrate.
小偷被带到了地方法官面前。

O liver was locked in a small stone cell, which was disgustingly dirty and smelly As the key turned in the lock, the old gentleman said to himself thoughtfully, 'The re's something in that boy's face… He could be innocent. Where have I seen someone like him before? 'After thinking about this for a few minutes, he said, 'No; it must be imagination. 'He sighed unhappily, and began reading the book again.
奥利弗被锁进了一个石砌的小牢房,牢房里脏极了,气味令人作呕。钥匙在门锁里转动的那一瞬间,老先生若有所思地自言自语道:“这孩子的表情好像意味着什么……他有可能是无辜的,我曾经在什么地方见过这么一个孩子呢?”他琢磨了一会儿,说:“不,这一定是我想像的。”他可惜地叹了口气,又接着看他的书。

解析:cell 细胞;单人小室;牢房
eg: They were boxed up in a small cell.
他们被关在一个小牢房里。

Some time later, the officer touched his shoulder and told him that the court was ready. A magistrate was a judge who dealt with small crimes in local courts, and the magistrate for this district was well known. His name was Mr Fang and he was a disagreeable, bad-tempered man. Today he was in a particularly bad mood. He frowned angrily at the old gentleman, and asked sharply,
过了一会儿,警官拍了拍他的肩膀说,法庭已经准备就序,担任审判官的是一位治安推事,治安推事主要是在地方法庭处理一些小的犯罪案。这位推事在他所管辖的区域里是很有名气的,他的名字叫范先生。他是个脾气很坏、难以相处的人。特别是今天,他的心情极为不佳,他紧皱着眉头,生气地朝老头厉声问道:

解析:deal with 处理、应付
eg: I'll deal with those problems later.
这些问题我以后会去处理。

'Who are you? '
“你是什么人?”

'My name, sir, is  Brown low . '
“先生,我的名字叫布朗洛。”

'Officer! What is this man charged with? '
“警官!这人被控什么罪名?”

'He's not charged, sir, 'answered the officer. 'He's accusing the boy. '
“推事,他没有被控什么,”警官回答说,“他是这孩子的指控人。”