Today, a man alone at the restaurant I work at
我在一家餐厅工作,今天,有一位独身前来的男客

took care of a bill for a party of 17 next to him
为邻桌17个人的聚餐买了账单

that was mostly kids and 5 or 6 adults.
那座客人中大多数都是孩子,只有五六个成年人

He was not in my section
他并没有坐在我负责的区域 

but I figured I’d help out my coworker
但我还是决定去帮一把负责那个区域的同事

and see if he wanted to pay
去看看他是否想要买单

since she was very busy.
因为那时她非常忙

I asked if he was ready for the bill after his meal
我问那位客人,他是否准备结账买单了 

and he said "Can you keep a secret?
他对我说,“你能帮我保守一个秘密吗?

Give me that tables bill
请把那一座的账单也交给我

and don’t tell them until I leave that I paid it
"并且,请在我离开之后再告诉他们,我已经结过账了

I was taken aback
男人的话让我大吃一惊 

because I knew their bill had come out to $400+.
因为我知道那一桌的费用高达400多美元 

I asked him if he was sure
我问他,您确定要这样吗

and he just asked me to bring it.
他说,你拿来就是了

I brought his bill and the other tables bill
我把两份账单都拿来交给了男人

and he just handed me his credit card
他只是把信用卡递给了我

without even looking at the bills.
甚至没有看一眼账单

He had no clue how big either of the checks were.
对两份账单到底需要多少钱,他一无所知

He ended up leaving a $100 tip on the $400 bill and a $20 tip on his $50 bill.
最后,男人不仅支付了400美元的账单,还另付了100美元的小费;对他自己的那份50美元的账单,他也留下了20美元的小费

 Before leaving, he asked me to do him one favor:
离开之前,他请我帮他一个忙 

tell the adults at the table
让我转告那一桌的大人 

to please teach their kids to do one act of random kindness a day.
请他们教导孩子们,每天都要做一件小小的好事

He walked out
男人说完就走了

and the party was absolutely shocked by what had happened when they later found out.
那桌的一众人随后才知道发生了什么,他们都震惊不已

Made my entire week.
一整个星期以来,想到这件事,都让我感到幸福