Just in case you needed yet another reason to stop cleaning your ears with cotton buds (aka Q-Tips), one man's run-in with a severe and potentially life-threatening infection in his skull may give you pause.
In a newly published case report, doctors detail how an otherwise healthy 31-year-old man was brought to their hospital's emergency department in an ambulance after collapsing.
Upon arriving, he experienced seizures, and physical examinations showed he was confused, drowsy, and occupying an altered state of consciousness.
Later, he revealed he had felt headaches and nausea for several days, during which time he struggled to remember names. Somewhat more ominously, he admitted feeling "intermittent left ear pain and hearing loss" for the past five years.
When the doctors ran a CT scan on the man's skull, they discovered pus-filled abscesses in the tissue surrounding his brain, and discharge from one of his ears revealed the culprit behind the infection: Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a dangerous disease-causing pathogen.
But how did this nasty bacterium get inside the man's skull?
A physical examination of the man's ear canal hints at the most likely answer: a fragment of a cotton bud, that had been stuck in the man's head for who knows how long – but possibly years, if his earlier symptoms of pain and hearing loss are any guide.
"The use of cotton buds inside ears is common and has long been recognised to cause several complications including trauma, tympanic membrane perforation, impacted earwax, infection, and retention of the cotton bud," the report states.
"The present case further reiterates the dangers of cotton bud use, and the importance of foreign body removal if identified in the EAC."
Infection 是 infect 的名词形式，它们表示“感染”。
A single mosquito can infect a large number of people.
She infected the children with her enthusiasm for music.