For weeks I worked repairing the outside of a run down home.几个星期以来,我的工作都是修缮一幢破旧的房子,

I kept noticing the same man riding an old bike pulling a make shift cart, often filled with cans and junk.我经常看到一个男人,他骑着一辆旧旧的自行车,后面拉着一辆简易的推车,推车里经常装满了垃圾罐等垃圾

Eventually his bike broke, and for days I saw him struggling to walk the bike and loaded cart up and down the road.最后他的自行车坏了,接连几天,我都看到他费力的推着自行车,后面拖着装满垃圾的推车,艰难的在马路上来来去去

I asked if I could help by fixing his bike (it was beyond repair).
我问他是否需要我帮他修理自行车(其实那辆车已经坏的不能修了)

I noticed he had some sort of disability, but his respect for others, kindness and humility shown more brightly.
我注意到他身体有些残疾,但他很尊重他人,态度友善,不卑不亢,这些品质更加引人注目


He politely declined, saying he was happy walking.
他委婉的拒绝了我的帮助,说自己很乐意步行。


I insisted and showed him a picture of a garden wagon I could get him for his heavy loads.
但我执意到帮助他,还提出我可以送给他一辆花园货车,可以用来拖运他的东西,还把货车的照片给他看。

He didn't want to impose , but I saw his eyes light up at the picture.
他说不想给我添麻烦,可是我发现,他看到照片的时候,眼睛亮了起来


He finally accepted my offer.
他最终接受了我的帮助

Finding he lived with his mother, I delivered the wagon there.
我得知他跟他的母亲住在一起,我把货车寄到了那里

They were delighted far beyond what little I did for him.
两人大喜过望,相比之下,我为他所做的根本不算什么

Each day he came by with his wagon load, at a brisk pace, we smiled and waved.
每天他都会推着推车从我眼前经过,步伐轻快,我们相互微笑,还对对方招手

I don't know about his load, but my heart was much lighter.
我不知道他拖运的东西有没有变轻,但我感觉自己的心情松快了很多