Emotional Reaction to Music
No matter who you are, where you live, / or what your cultural background is, / people get some pleasure from listening to their favorite music. / However, some people are simply not capable of enjoying music. / This is not because they can’t experience pleasure at all. / They don’t have trouble hearing music properly, either. / Instead, they’re just indifferent to music. / Researchers have conducted studies to find out / why some people have no emotional reaction to music. / However, despite their efforts, the mystery remains.
SECTION A TALK
4. a sound changes
6. discriminate the
7. their first birthda
8. totally equivalen
9. incredible differe
10. taking statistics
SECTION B CONVERSATIONS
1. According to the man, what is a British characteristic?
答案：C. The British are unable to speak a foreign language.
2. What is the second most-spoken language in the UK?
3. Why was the 1,000 Words Campaign launched?
答案：A. To help improve international trade.
4.According to the man, which is not considered an advantage of learning a foreign language?
答案：D. It makes you work hard.
5. What’s the most probable relationship between the man and the woman?
6. According to Alice, what is a phobia?
答案：A. An unreasonable fear.
7. What are the chances of getting knocked off one’s bicycle and killed in a one-mile journey?
答案：C. One in fourteen million.
8. What kind of event do people tend to worry about?
答案：B. Catastrophic events.
9. Which may involve a chronic risk?
答案：D. Smoking cigarettes.
10. Why do some people enjoy risks?
答案：A. They get pleasure from risks.
11. C. is believed to have been
12. D. has been maintaining
13. B. otherwise
14. C. hazy blue Virginia
15. A. the evil
16. D. are of war
17. A. its most basic
18. C. to reveal an undesirable consequence
19. B. Jim turned to speak to the person standing behind him.
20. A. a hypothesis
21. C. trial
22. B. Arguably
23. C. offset
24. D. recollection
25. B. constitutes
26. D. extra
27. A. filed
28. D. wreck
29. C. countless
30. D. maritime
31. M. unknown
32. B. automatically
33. F. kind
34. I. one
35. C. couple
36. N. virtue
37. E. indebtedness
38. D. goes
39. O. widespread
40. L. subscribe
SECTION A MUTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
41. D. successful competition is essential in American society
42. B. Cause and effect.
43. C. Sarcastic.
44. A. They would enjoy a much larger readership.
45. D. Awards ceremonies are held for all sorts of reasons.
46. C. source of funding
47. B. promote market rather than achievements
48. C. Her sister Josephine told her.
49. B. sat in an armchair all the time
50. A. She was indifferent now.
SECTION B SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS
51. Individual freedom.
52. Some awards aren’t rewards for real achievements.
53. Some awards for sports fail to achieve positive social effects.
54. Her mood changed from distress to excitement and joy.
55. The real cause was her extreme disappointment.