How I Lost Four Ounces in Three Weeks（我怎样在三周里减了四盎司体重）
1. "I'm not fat," I told my neighbor, "but I would like to lose a little—about ten pounds."
2. "Ten pounds?" he said. "That's easy. I lost 20 pounds just by running every day."
3. That's when I made up my mind. I would run, too. I'd run on Willow Road, which goes by the end of our block. And I'd outfit myself in a pair of white shorts, sneakers and a sweat shirt. I'd have the right clothes, so I wouldn't look silly
4. To begin with, I decided to run up Willow Road as far as the Emersons' house. That was about a mile.
5. By the time I got to the end of our block, my legs had turned to stone. And I felt as if somebody had lit a campfire in my chest! I limped on for another hundred yards. The thing to do, I decided, was to stop as soon as I came to a good place for a rest. At once I said to myself, "This looks like a good place !" And I fell, panting, to the earth.
6. After some time, I sat up. "You're out of shape
," I told myself. "You've got to work up to
things bit by bit. Give yourself time!"
7. I stood up and walked home.
[en]8. Every morning for three weeks, Mondays through Fridays, I burst from my house and ran toward the Emerson place. I went a bit further every time. Weekends I rested up. Finally, I decided that I was ready to run the whole mile. Of course, I'd stop a few times along the route to rest.
9. I made the big push on Saturday. That was a mistake. I had forgotten that the neighborhood children would not be in school that day.