To hell with her,she left me.

——Friends

去她的,是她离开了我。

——《老友记》

一、下面我们来看看left有几种含义

n.

1.准假;休假  period of time when you are allowed to be away from work for a holiday / vacation or for a special reason

Going on leave, he devolved his duties on his deputy.

他休假前把职责移交给副手。

 

2.许可,同意 official permission to do sth

She has my leave to see him.

她得到我的许可去看他。

 

3.辞别 to say goodbye

She took leave of her mother, and caught the train to Beijing.

她告别了她母亲,搭上了去北京的列车。

 

v.

1.离开,离去;出发 [I,T] to go away from a person or a place

He had the insolence to tell me to leave the room.

他竟然无礼地叫我离开房间。

 

2.遗弃,舍弃 [I,T] to leave your wife, husband or partner permanently

He'll never leave you. You need have no worry...

他不会舍弃你的,你不用担心。

 

3.脱离,退出;辞去 [I,T] to go away from

He leave his office job to try to make a living on the land.

他辞去了办公室的工作,改以务农为生。

 

4.遗忘,忘了带 [I,T] to fail to include or take along

The conductor remained the passengers not to leave their luggage behind when they got off the train.

列车员提醒旅客们下火车时别把自己的行李遗忘在车上。

 

5.留下 [I,T] to allow sb to take care of sth

I leave that to you.

这都留给你啦。

 

二、词义辨析:还有哪些单词能表示“抛弃”的意思

abandon, desert, forsake, leave, give up

这些动词或词组均含“抛弃、放弃”之意

abandon强调永远或完全放弃或抛弃人或事物等,这可能是被迫的,也可能是自愿的。

desert着重指违背法律责任和义务,或自己的信仰与誓言的行为,多含非难的意味。

forsake侧重断绝感情上的依恋,自愿抛弃所喜欢的人或物。也指抛弃信仰或改掉恶习。

leave普通用词,指舍弃某事或某一职业,或终止同一某人的关系,但不涉及动机与果。

give up普通用语,侧重指没有希望或因外界压力而放弃。

 

三、你知道left和哪些词更搭吗?

absence without leave

擅离职守,开小差

 

leave alone

1. 不打扰;不惊动 2. 不碰;不变动;不移动

 

leave behind

留下,忘记带;遗留;把…丢在后面,超过

 

leave no stone unturned

千方百计,竭尽全力,不遗余力

 

leave of absence

假期,休假

 

四、最后,来做个小测试

You must cancel out all the charges before you _____ the hotel.

你在离开旅馆前必须付清各项费用把账销了再走。