英语中有一个很常见的词组“back and forth”,它是什么意思呢?可千万不要把forth和fourth搞混了。看看《我们这一天》的这个片段吧。

对话原文

 

I have a cat.

我有一只猫 

It's all I really have.

它是我的唯一了 

His name's Clooney.

它叫克鲁尼 

One of those ironic names, 'cause he's a pretty ugly cat.

挺讽刺的名字 因为它很丑 

I go back and forth to feed him.

我来回跑是为了喂它 

Three hours on the bus each day.

每天坐三个小时大巴 

Why wouldn't you just tell us you had a cat?

你为什么不直接跟我们说你你有只猫 

The little one has asthma

你们小女儿有哮喘

and I knew if I brought up the cat,

我知道如果我说了猫的事

you'd tell me to bring it,

你们会让我带它来 

that would cause problems.

这样就会添麻烦 

And I don't want to cause any problems,

但我不想给你们添麻烦 

'cause if I cause problems, I'd have to leave.

因为添了麻烦我就得走 

And...

但... 

and I don't want to leave.

但我不想走 

Six months ago, some doctor told me I had three to live.

六个月前 医生告诉我我还有三个月时间 

But for some reason, I don't feel so bad lately.

但不知怎么的 最近我没那么难受了 

Maybe to do with this house.

也许是因为这个家 

I don't know.

我不知道 

Truth is, I'd never thought

说实话 我从未想过 

I'd have anything to care about again

我的生命中 除了那只丑猫 

besides an ugly cat, so...

还会有其他值得在乎的东西 所以...

 

今日重点:

讽刺的:ironic。名词形式irony,意思是“反讽”

及其:pretty。这个词也可做形容词,表示“漂亮的”

来回地:back and forth。forth表示“向前”,而fourth是“第四”

哮喘:asthma

提出:bring up 

某个的:“some doctor”可以看到doctor没有加-s,是因为some在这里表示“某个”,而不是“一些”

与……有关:to do with sth

 

想看完整视频,请关注【沪江英语】公众号