Simulated Test 1
Directions: Beneath each of the following sentences, there are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence and mark the corresponding letter with a single bar across the square bracket on the ANSWER SHEET.
1. The scene is so beautiful that it my power of description.
A. transports B. transfers C. transcends D. transforms
2. The schoolmaster the girl’s bravery in his opening speech.
A. applauded B. enhanced C. elevated D. clapped
3. The meaning of “yellow” is a color, but it can also mean “cowardly.”
A. positive B. negative C. underlying D. literal
4. Many people think that the standards of public have declined.
A. morality B. rightness C. awareness D. mentality
5. People were surprised to find that he had the ability to everything he was involved in.
A. precede B. dominate C. pervade D. denominate
6. The fact that they reacted so differently was a reflection of their different .
A. performances B. personalities C. qualities D. debut
7. This medicine will the pain in the stomach.
A. ascertain B. agitate C. alleviate D. allocate
8. The apartment was as $50,000 and its owner decided to sell it.
A. automated B. assessed C asserted D. avenged
9. The minister all his officials pay the tax.
A. bids B. blesses C. barks D. baffles
10. When a person dies, his debts must be paid before his can be distributed.
A. paradoxes B. legacies C. platitudes D. analogies
Directions: In each of the following sentences there is one word or phrase underlined. Below the sentence are four choices marked A, B, C, and D. Choose the one that is closest in meaning to the underlined part. Mark the corresponding letter with a single bar across the square bracket on the ANSWER SHEET.
11. Tourists flock from the remotest places to see the capital’s sights.
A. invade B. troop C. prompt D. gather
12. He has told so many lies that we can no longer place any reliance on what he says.
A. belief B. trust C. conviction D. dependence.